The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: My first Autavia (1163)
In Response To: Re: My first Autavia (1163) ()

: Thanks, Bernard! You were my coach for my first Autavia and I truly
: appreciate it. Very gracious of you.

: But is it too rare to wear? I know it's a totally newbie
: question. I want to wear it, but don't want to devalue it.

: - Ara

Hi Ara,

First things first… congratulations on your new Autavia. That’s a beauty.

Now, back to your dilemma. You have to ask yourself why did you get into collecting watches in the first place. If money is the sole purpose, I’d say that there’re lots of better ways to make money than investing into watches. For me, collecting watches is all about wearing and enjoying them. A true collector should wear his watches. I would understand it if this was a NOS Chronomatic Siffert but yours is a very common reference. Don’t be like those safe queeners whose watches only see the light of day when posing for the IG photo. I’m a sucker for vintage Heuer but the market right now is totally overbought. You will probably lose money with your watch in the long term. So, in summary… enjoy your watch for as long as you can. Life is short mate.

Jose

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE