The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
The Challenge . . . Maintain the Integrity

Yes, TAG Heuer needs to develop the watches that will be most popular . . . to make more sales and earn more profit. This is capitalism!!

If they can to that with three-hand Autavias, or Connected Carreras, or brown sunray Monacos, then I think that's great. Same for all the Formula 1 watches and Aquaracers . . . more power to them!! I think that there are some great watches in these collections!! And if the vintage models can inspire some new creations, then all the better!!

It gets a bit complicated [annoying?] when we read press releases and web pages evoking the DNA, the legibility, the tradition . . . when we hear that TAG Heuer will celebrate 55 years of the Carrera . . . when we see 10 watches in a "Heritage Collection".

Yes, sell watches; yes, maximize the profits; but let's see whether the brand can maintain its integrity / honesty, while doing so. And, no, I have no idea whether any other watch brands do better or worse at this.

Jeff

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: It is their duty to be concerned about the bottom line. If they
: were more concerned with their heritage than the bottom line
: they would have been out of business long ago.

: I don't get what people want. I am not a huge fan of these 3 handed
: Autavias but then I don't buy new watches with the exception of
: the Rindt remake from earlier this year. I do want TAG Heuer to
: succeed because they have been pretty good to us vintage
: guys....but as a vintage guy so I am not their target market. If
: you want a real vintage look buy real vintage watches.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE