The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
A bit like fashion
In Response To: Seems to be the New Approach ()

On the very high end, you go bespoke and can customize almost everything - a luxury very few people can afford at high price and something really unique. That's the Bamford option for TH watches.
One notch down, made-to-measure and it's still exclusive but less so - and less pricey accordingly. Most of the important design elements have been decided by others though. That's the LE here.
Finally the mass market for all: off-the-peg clothes, and run-of-the-mill standard production watches at regular prices.

Market segmentation and something for everyone. Then you vote with your wallet, based on what you can afford and what you like and think is good value for money.
Here, I think however that the distance in quality and price level is much smaller between the 3 categories in watches than in clothing, but the simile can probably still apply.
I for one even if I had it would never spend Bamford-level money for a watch that's still basically a customized version of a standard production watch. The LEs make more sense to me - and it's everyone's call.
IMHO it'll be the LEs (the good ones, I mean - likely not Harrods' ;-)) that will increase in value over time.
Cheers,
Fabrizio

: I can't claim to understand it, but this seems to be the new
: approach to selling watches. if one person wants one specific
: watch, he or she can go to Bamford and draw it up . . . one like
: the Harrods LE will cost you around £7,000 if an
: "influencer" [Hodinkee, The Rake or Calibre11] or
: retailer [Harrods or Seddiqi] wants 100 to 150 watches, they
: call it a Limited Edition . . . expect the good ones to sell out
: quickly, then we see them in the after-market at nice premiums
: if a member of the public visits TAGHeuer.com or a local
: retailer, the choices for the Autavia or Carrera are much more
: limited (and much more boring) Have a look at the 10 watches in
: TAG Heuer's "Heritage" collection, here --
: https://www.tagheuer.com/en-us/watches/heritage-watch . Sad that
: a brand with the amazing heritage that we celebrate every day
: with our own collections is left with this portfolio in the year
: 2018.

: Compare with the vintage-inspired watches offered by Omega,
: Breitling and Tudor, and it gets even worse.

: Jeff

: +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE