The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Minutia vs. Big Thoughts

Having now listened to five podcasts in my life (all of them by Hodinkee), I can say that I enjoy the episodes that discuss the Big Thoughts (why we collect; market trends; watches versus other collectibles; other hobbies; etc.), rather than the ones that focus on minutia. Oral (radio) presentations, without any visual support, are not ideal for minutia.

I agree that the Eric Ku episode was not the best . . . it seemed that there were several attempts to get him to discuss anything other than Rolex, but being a hammer, everything looked like a nail. I believe that he's a good guy, and a well-respected dealer and collector, but that doesn't necessarily make for a five-star rated podcast. Still, an OK way to get through the daily commute.

Jeff

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: Jeff,

: You know I fly a lot. Usually I use the time at 36,000 feet to
: catch up on my work email etc. However, at your recommendation,
: I started listening to the Hodinkee Radio podcasts a couple of
: weeks ago. I really like them. Usually I can get in both some
: work and a podcast during a flight. So far, even though there
: isn't much watch talk on this episode, the Rian Johnson #3 is my
: favorite. I like them all but I guess if I had to pick my least
: favorite episode it might be #5 with Eric Ku which is probably
: the most watch nerdy of them all. Don't get me wrong, I liked
: it...maybe I just reject the whole nerdy Rolex minutia
: thing....don't know why...I am probably guilty of being a
: minutia nerd in other areas.

: JohnCote

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE