The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Question reg. Monaco 73633 and MK II bracelet

Hello Christoph,

first of all congrats for your very nice and minty Monaco.

As far as I know, the Monaco 73633B appeared, for the first time, into the 1971-72 brochure (see third page):

http://www.onthedash.com/document/1971-72-brochure/

To determine its production year, consider that the first Transitional automatic Monacos (1133B, automatic early Calibre11 movement) have serial number into the range 157xxx and have been released in March 1969.
The manual Autavias 73663 with Valjoux 7736 movement (as yours Monaco) are all in the serial range 200xxx and 201xxx and are from 1971-1972, i.e. the manual Autavia 73663 MH in "Viceroy colour" is pictured in same brochure (see above, second page).

So, in my opinion (but could be wrong), your Monaco #1659xx (that is only 8000 or 9000 serial numbers far away from 1969) should have been released by Heuer Factory (=produced, but not sold, that is another story...) in 1970 (or 1971 as worst case), as you already know from Rich's Monaco book.
I think is impossible to determine when EXACTLY has been produced (and honestly in my opinion is not so important).

To shorten the bracelet, you need a bracelet pin remover like this:

https://www.ebay.it/itm/Metal-Link-Pin-Remover-Adjuster-Watch-Band-Bracelet-Strap-Repair-Tool-w-3-Pins/123472564389?hash=item1cbf89d0a5:g:mcgAAOSwWhVbqhpZ:rk:7:pf:0

or better, like this:

https://www.ebay.it/itm/Hammer-Remover-Set-8inch-Strap-Band-With-Punch-Pin-Bracelet-Kit-Watch-Link-Tool/173625612078?hash=item286ce4972e:g:zlwAAOSw3fpau44Y:rk:14:pf:0

My 2 cents.

Best.

Gianluca

: Dear members,

: I own a Monaco 73633 and would like to ask the Monaco experts among
: you 2 questions. Your help is very appreciated.

: The watch has serial number 1659xx. Can be determinated in which
: year it was produced? As far as I know the 73633 production
: started around 1971. I also have Richard Crosthwaites book about
: Monacos which tells me that my serial number is not an early
: one. But I can not find out more.

: It has a MK II bracelet. I would like to shorten it by myself but I
: do not know which tools are necessary. Could anyone please tell
: me what do I need and where I can buy it.

: Thanks a lot in advance for your help.
: Christoph

Messages In This Thread

Question reg. Monaco 73633 and MK II bracelet *PIC*
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE