The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
About marketing and the new Autavia
In Response To: Re: Tag Heuer (non) Marketing ()

Hi,

Interesting comments.
I prefer the Heuer over the Tag-heuer logo too. Maybe, by using it in the classics line they are trying to integrate the new logo to the history of the brand. But every time I see it on the dial of a classic, it just doesn't seem right. The watches look less like classics and more like reissues - hope you understand what I mean.

Tag Heuer as a brand entity is in a very complicated position. Some time ago I called them the flagship of LVMH. Chuck said that Zenith is the flagship of the group and I can see his point. I'd call Zenith the "crown jewel" and Tag the "flagship", it is just a matter of definition really (what one means by "flagship"). In 2000, from the 900 mil. CHF turnover of the LVMH watch division, Tag's share was 460 mil. and second was Ebel with 210 mil. So Tag is a MEGA brand. Still, for many watch enthusiasts their product is considered of average quality, with more hype than substance and the past product is considered more interesting than the present. And this is more of a problem, since they have a different logo now. Hard decision were to be made from non-WIS marketing people as to which logo to use in the classic line.

Anyway, I'm not sure I bought the new Autavia, even if it had the old logo. I have seen the white dial version, which I prefer, close enough to be disappointed. The bezel is too narrow and the date seems (is?) smaller, not to mention the lack of a hour subdial. Where is the functionality of the past? I don't like the chrono pushers and how they integrate to the case and the colors of the chrono registers look better in the pictures than in real life. And after all these years of improvements in materials and production techniques, the new Autavia is, to my eyes, a lesser quality watch than some of the originals. I'm talking about the overall impression the watch left me. Well, the vintage Autavia(s) is one of my obsessions, so please excuse me for being too hard to please ;-)

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE