The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
With All Due Respect to Our Friends at SJX . . .

With all due respect to our friends at SJX, I don't believe that this Seafarer was a $20,000 watch, even at the height of the market.

I wonder whether the author took into account the damage to the tide dial and the hour recorder? On these watches, the dial is "everything", and I am not surprised that there was no $10,000 bid for this one. So the lume is nice, on the dial and on the hands, but the condition of the sub-dials / recorders was bad enough to negate any plus factors for this watch.

We can all agree that the market for vintage Heuers is soft right now; the average to poor watches are the weakest part of this market . . . and this Seafarer is in that "poor" category.

Jeff

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: Article by SJX about the auction results from Geneva. Small mention
: of Heuer:

: “While the vintage Daytona market is taking a breather, the
: market for vintage Heuer has gone on holiday – likely to the
: same destination where vintage Panerai has been for some time.

: Prices for vintage Heuer spiralled upwards rapidly from 2015 to
: late 2016, accompanied by breathless headlines, but the category
: achieved middling to poor results at all auction houses this
: season. The Abercombie & Fitch Seafarer at Sotheby’s went
: unsold despite a low estimate of just SFr10,000, less than half
: of what it would have sold for two years ago.”

:
: http://watchesbysjx.com/2018/11/takeaways-geneva-auction-nov-2018.html

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE