The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Some Thoughts on the Richard Mille "Bonbon" Collection
In Response To: Oh dear! *NM* ()

The candy-inspired “Bonbon” watches that Richard Mille introduced at SIHH have definitely sparked a lot of conversation (and we should note that this attention may itself have been one of the main objectives of the company, in introducing these watches at SIHH.)

I heard an interesting assessment of these Richard Mille watches in a Hodinkee podcast covering SIHH. Here’s a link to that podcast; the RM discussion starts at around the 21:20 mark -- https://simplecast.com/s/2f406436?t=21m20s In this posting, I’ll summarize some of the points made by the Hodinkee crew, and also add some of my own thoughts at the end.

By way of background, Richard Mille has announced that the company will withdraw from SIHH, starting in 2020 (so that this 2019 show was their last SIHH). The Hodinkee guys made the point that RM is looking to the next chapter after SIHH, and that the Bonbon line of watches was a way to grab some attention, on the way out the door. And don’t worry – RM will be introducing some “serious” watches over the course of the year. [Of course, all this points to the revolution that has occurred in the way watches are being distributed, with the “omni-channel” approach replacing the usual dealers and distributors; thus, not much need for these annual trade shows.]

Looking at the Bonbon watches, the Hodinkee guys made the point that Richard Mille positions itself as being over-the-top, and is unapologetic about it. Many of their watches are “transgressive”, violating the usual norms and being offensive to many people. RM does things and makes watches that many people think they shouldn’t be doing or making (and the person wearing a Richard Mille watch may have the same outlook).

The Bonbon line also represents the idea that all fine watchmaking is by its nature self-indulgent, and that we all take it too seriously. Richard Mille is having fun, with the way they are perceived in the world of watchmaking. So putting candy on the dial of a bright, colorful watch is no more ridiculous than many of the fine (and expensive) complications that we see in other high-priced watches. The bottom line – traditional watchmaking can be humorless, serious enterprise. So hat’s off to a brand that doesn’t take itself too seriously.

And for those who were wondering – the Bonbon watches are priced between $150,000 and $250,000.

Let me close with a well-known passage from F. Scott Fitzgerald:

Let me tell you about the very rich. They are different from you and me. They possess and enjoy early, and it does something to them, makes them soft where we are hard, and cynical where we are trustful, in a way that, unless you were born rich, it is very difficult to understand. They think, deep in their hearts, that they are better than we are because we had to discover the compensations and refuges of life for ourselves. Even when they enter deep into our world or sink below us, they still think that they are better than we are. They are different.
I don’t know what it is like to spend $200,000 on a watch. I imagine that most people who do so are “very rich”, by any standard. So whether someone wants to spend $200,000 to celebrate his love of cupcakes, or perhaps $200,000 to celebrate her love of solid gold minute repeaters, I imagine that these folks are living a different life, and valuing watches and money differently than you or me. Yes, the very rich are different, and it’s good that Richard Mille is making some fun, colorful watches for them.

Jeff

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE