The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
My input..

To avoid writing a novel I'll bullet point my own thoughts-

1 I still visit OTD daily/hourly if I'm honest. It seems a ghost town often, which is sad to see. I still think it has much to offer as a current discussion platform for vintage Heuers and not just a historic reference site. I'm sure I'm not the only one who pops on here regularly to see what is posted, then pops off again when there is nothing to get my teeth into.

2 I don't feel that TAG should be excluded necessarily. I get the point that topics can be side-swiped or overtaken by views on the new 'Heritage' releases/current range. While not strictly 'Heuer' and not to everyone's taste (including mine) the DNA to a greater or lesser extent of these models is from the Heuers we know and love, irrespective of if we like how they've ended up or not. Maybe this pull against TAG discussions is partly because there have been a large amount of heritage releases since the Autavia cup, so there has been a lot to discuss; and in some way it feels like there have been a greater proportion of discussions about TAG than about vintage Heuer?

3 since seeing the decline in new conversation on OTD I have become members of the relevant groups on both FB and IG. Personally I would FAR prefer to contribute on a website such as OTD than the other platforms. I'm slowly getting to my feet on IG and while it has obvious plusses and a VAST array of beautiful Heuers in beautiful photos, it can be quite bamboozling to me and I miss the opportunity to stop and admire something of particular interest. (I'm a shade over 40, I'm not that old or slow yet!!)

4 I saw your post about the Portuguese Autavias Jeff-I was minded to bring it up a couple of weeks back when I saw one on Chrono24. In this case specifically though, I felt I had nothing to contribute sadly.

This is all thinking out loud obviously but being fully honest too. Personally I have very little interest in the TAG offerings, they're just not for me; but I still think there is a place for them here. Either way I would love to see an increase in traffic here again so I can join in the fun.

Steve

: So I took a few minutes and posted about a "pure"
: vintage Heuer topic (re Portuguese military Autavias) . . . and
: zero response so far.

: I thought this would be interesting . . . but perhaps all the words
: have already been said / all the information already posted.

: All agree -- vintage Heuer in a bit of a malaise right now . . . so
: how can we improve this / address the situation?

: Yes, new forum software with photo hosting would be a good step,
: but what else should we be doing? People are living on Facebook
: and Instagram, where it is easier to post, but I still believe
: that forums are worthwhile.

: Jeff

: +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE