The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: I am now of the opinion
In Response To: Re: I am now of the opinion ()

Hello,

I just bought another one with same characteristics: case is a 73663 and serial number is #202286.

Another anomaly is that it has a Valjoux 7734 movement a bit different from a standard Heuer V7734 movement, that is:
a) a standard nickel coloured balance wheel instead of the Heuer golden coloured balance wheel with barrel shaped arms;
b) a later reset hammer with self-regulating arms instead of the early one;
c) the chrono bridgd is marked "HEUER LEONIDAS SA" but the font is smaller than the standard one;
d) the "MN" marking is placed near one of the two screws fixing the movement to the case instead of under the balance wheel (probably because you don't have to disassemble the movement to remove the balance wheel formark the mainplate);

Also the 73663 (three subdial ones) with military dial pictured on Paul Gavin website has a V7736 movement with same above characteristics..

I am wondering if:

a) someone assembled a small batch of these watches (in both 73463 and 73663 version) with surplus parts but all with 73663 cases after Heuer bankrupted, or:
b) Heuer did a batch of these watches using surplus 73663 cases and standard V773X movements (but MN marked).

Anyway there are quite a few of these with same characteristics so for me they are "legit".

My 2 cents.

Best.

Gianluca

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE