The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Ok Jeff's pushing me to post this one: NEW ARRIVAL

Spontaneous Friday Scan . . . Smiling Faces! ! ! Posted By: jeff stein Date:
2/22/08 16:23 GMT

I'm smiling today, because we finally have our Forums back and because it's Friday! So what better watch to wear than "Robo-Chrono" (Ford Split Lap Unit 77), the watch that always has such a beautiful smile!

Show us what you are wearing or the watch that makes you smile over the weekend! If not a watch, how about something else that will make you smile!

Jeff

Well, Jeff located this one for me. It's been on my First Tier Wish list for quite some time, and it arrived about two hours ago:

OK, The Omega FIFA Chronograph is one of the Omega models we collectors sometimes run into which aren't strictly part of another establised Omega Product line. Other examples of this are the Omega Bullhead 146.011-69, the Omega Titanium and Gold/Titanium Moonphase chronographs of the middle 1980's and the Omega Titane.

The FIFA closest Omega relative is the Speedmaster Day-Date Automatic c.1045 line. It shares the base movement, for the most part as the 24 Hour indication is deleted in favor for the FIFA logo, the c.1045's classic looks, but it doesn't not have a Speedmaster dial, caseback or bracelet markings.

In fact, it really has much more in common with both my next most recent acquisition: The 75th Anniversary FC [Football Club [ie Soccer]] Vallee De Joux" or as I've nicknamed it: "The Valjoux Lemania:

Which of course bears more than a passing resemblence to the Heuer Cortina:

Which raises a lot of questions... Did Omega just assemble these from components bought elsewhere? When the differences between FIFA <->Vallee De Joux <-> Cortina are less than other models within their home firms other models, are they closer related to each other than their mother firm? Which one is the Poor Man's version of the other.

So I guess I've crossed the FIFA off my list. Now I have to get a Cortina 510.513... [Thanks Jeff for your assistance on the FIFA and my use of the Cortina picts off of OTD!]...

Cheers!

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

Chronographs, like most finer things in life, only improve with time...
Watch Article index: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html,
Watch Links Page: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/watch.html,
Watch Blog: http://chuckmaddoxwatch.blogspot.com/.

Non-Pasadena Pasadena Stainless 7750

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE