The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Welcome!! Uncertain About the "Orange Boy" Reference

Welcome, Kingmatic!!

We certainly have some enthisiasts in Mexico, and we are glad that you have introduced yourself. We hope that you will become a regular, reader and writer!!

I will have to be honest: I'm not sure of the exact meaning of the "Orange Boy" reference. At first, I thought that this nickname was used for the 1163 Viceroy-style guy, with the brushed steel hands and the tachy bezel . . . in other words, very similar to the first Viceroys, except that Heuer used orange paint instead of red paint. Here is this "Orange Boy".

Then, I believe that people started referring to the 11630 MH (shown below) as an "Orange Boy". Of course, this one is different in so many ways from the earlier 1163 . . . different bezel, different hands, different registers, different case, etc. But it does have a lot of orange!!

Turning to your Autavia, it looks very nice. I would suggest that if the right person does the restoration of the case, then there is no hazard in having it cleaned and refinished. But you need to have it done by someone who knows exactly how the original cases were finished. It is not a polished, shiny finish, but has some surfaces that are brushed and others that are polished.

Good luck with this one, and please keep up updated on your progress!!

Jeff

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hi folks!! This is my first (hope, not last) post in this extraordinary forum. Even though I´m a vintage wristwatch fanatic, those for the 70´s are not of my particular taste (sorry guys); exception being some incredible pieces like this Heuer Autavia that I recently trade.

I´ve been searching in this and other forums about their history but there are a couple of questions that I would like to ask

a) this reference 11630 HS is considered an "orange boy" or "Gulf" or the nicknames are only applied to the reference 1163?

b) Although externally the watch is in mint conditions (the movement however requires a professional service ), the bracelet is dirty and has some minor scratches .

In your opinion and from the historical (not monetary) point of view, if I decide to buff it out this is considered by you experts a sacrilegy.?

Thank you in advance for your opinions and responses

Kingmatic from Mexico City

Messages In This Thread

A couple questions on Autavia HS from a Mexican newbie *PIC*
Welcome!! Uncertain About the "Orange Boy" Reference
Re: Welcome!! Uncertain About the "Orange Boy" Reference
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE