The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

A discussion forum for chronographs, dive watches and other tool-type wristwatches and timepieces

This forum is for DISCUSSING tool type watches within following categories:
Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the ChronoTrader Policies and Terms of Use. Learn more about How To Include Photos In Your Postings. No FOR SALE, WANT TO TRADE and other ADs--they belong in our ChronoTrader Sales Forum.

SomeThoughts... *PIC*
In Response To: Tool watch definition? ()

Tool watch definition? Posted By: Hewybaby Date:
3/10/08 01:37 GMT

In Response To: Nice Sam (Alistair)

My questions were serious about the definition of a tool watch?

Alarm watches?

Drivers watches?

Do they qualify?

Sam

Well, the boilerplate text we [the late Derek Ziglar, Jeff and myself cobbled together] stated:

This forum is for DISCUSSING tool type watches within following categories:

• Tool and special function watches of any age, such as:
    chronographs, diver's, GMT/multi-time zone or other tool watches
  • All brands--especially Sinn, Lemania, Zenith, Gallet, Tissot and Zodiac. (OMEGA and HEUER have separate dedicated forums.)
  • Modern reissues of pre-1990 tool watches as described above
  • Dash-mount, handheld and other specialized chronographs and other racing/diving/sport timing devices

I mean technically, it could be written to be:

“any timepiece which tells more than the time and perhaps day/date in a manner which could be considered a tool useful for achieving a purpose.”

This would allow alarm watches [which is probably a stretch but...] and Submariner/Turn-o-Graph type time only watches [the rotatable bezel in their ticket in], and even something like your DeVille Co-Axial GMT [the GMT is it's ticket in, so what if it's more than a bit dressy for a "Tool", even the Board of Directors might need to know what time it is in NYC/GMT/UTC/ETC.] but disallow two or three had watches with no other Tool like features [Robo-Benrus would probably not be especially welcomed, but your "world-time Tissot would, etc.].

I personally don't consider the DeVille GMT to be an exceptionally good "tool watch" fit, but then again I would't consider my Ed. Heuer & Co. 125 Jubilee to be a good fit either... Even though technically they meet the requirement.

Just about anything with some sort of Tachy, Decimal, 24-Hour/World Time, Telemetre, Pulsemetre bezel would be in, so would Whiz-Wheel watches, Divers watches, etc.

Would CBP [Cheap Black Plastic] watches like Ironman's and G-Shocks be allowed? I guess so. Seiko Quartz Analog/LCD dress watches like the Seiko you posted on Chronocentric Omega? I guess so if we want to include them. I don't know... We can draw the boundaries as wide as we want, but then there will be a lot of watches I have absolutely little/no interest in discussing or reading about.

I mean at some point we could include all sorts of things which technically could be considered "tool-ish" like Moonphase [only] or minute repeaters, and at that point we might as well just call it a public forum. Which is not what I would like Chrono-Tools to be.

For the most part, I'm not all that keen on talking about dress watches much. But that's just me.

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

Watch Article Index: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html,
Watch Links Page: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/watch.html,
Watch Blog: http://chuckmaddoxwatch.blogspot.com/.
Chronographs, like most finer things in life, only improve with time...

Below: Probably not a tool watch...

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE