The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

A marketplace for chronographs, dive watches and other tool-type wristwatches and timepieces

This forum is for BUYING, SELLING and TRADING only--not for discussing watches. Please limit postings to specific ads for buying, selling or trading watches, parts or accessories that that match at least one of the following categories:

Please see our ChronoTrader Policies and Terms of Use. Learn more about How To Include Photos In Your Postings.

Rules: Postings must be an ad announcing an intent to sell, buy or trade. Full item description and photo(s) must be posted within the message here, not as links to other websites. Links to online auctions and other sites: Links to online auctions, dealer sites or other listings of items are permitted, but you should be careful to ensure that such listings will comply with our other ChronoTrader Policies. In addition, we request that sellers linking to online auctions or listings offer some benefit or accomodation to ChronoTrader readers (for example, some discount or an undertaking to end an auction early, to keep a watch "in the family"). Photos must be of the actual item for sale in its present condition. No counterfeit or replica products. No post for the same item may be repeated within 7 days, except to lower the asking price. Commercial dealers are limited to three unique posts per day. [More...]

FS: EXTREMELY RARE HEUER AUTAVIA 73463 ISRAEL DEFENCE FORCES

Hi guys,
I am selling without any doubt the rarest Heuer watch I have ever owned.
It's an Autavia reference 73463 that was actually issued by the Israel Defense Forces (IDF).

Here a little bit of history on this particular watch.
I bought it a couple years ago from on collector in Canada based one a couple of pictures that were not great.
When I finally got it I could see this was a genuine IDF watch with the correct "M" engraving on the case-back.
Hands were badly painted in a thick white paint like I had seen on two other military Heuer AAF I once owned.
After talking with Abel Court and James Hyman about the watch, I decided to have James just strip the hands from that thick white paint, repaint and then relume them.
All the rest was kept as it was, so case was not refurbished and also MH bezel with lume dot, plexi and all the other parts are the original.
A year ago I sold the watch to another Belgian collector who asked me to sell it for him now.

About the IDF issued watches here some more info. Please note that the first watch also has that white paint on the hands though these look pretty nice.
Also note the "M" engraving on the case-back, exactly like the watch I am proposing here.
http://www.chronocentric.com/forums/heuer/index.cgi?md=read;id=27335

Ok, here the description of this watch. Pictures are mine.
Case is in the original and unpolished condition. Apart from several very superficial hairline scratches it's in very good condition.
In fact it's amazingly good for a military watch and certainly the best I have owned.
Sunburst graining in the upper case perfectly visible, bevelled edges completely intact.
Of course an Abel Court refurbishment could make it perfect but it would also erase a part of the military history.
I leave that to the buyer.
Please note the M967 engraving on the case-back.

Dial has some very minor wear, nothing major and certainly not surprising given the condition the hands were in.
Hour makers have the most beautiful khaki colour. For me those markers are maybe the best part of this watch.
Lume has flaked off at two o'clock and also a bit at the shorter markers at three and nine o'clock. I decided to keep them as they are.
Hands were repainted and relumed by James Hyman. I think we can all agree on the fact the result is fabulous.

Original MH bezel with lume dot at 12 o'clock. The bezel has wear but it's the original one with beautiful blue/grey colour.
I just couldn't bring my self to replace it.
Original plexi in good condition; crown and pushers in good condition and original.

Mechanically the watch is working perfect. It was completely serviced by my watchmaker.
Keeping very good time, great power reserve, chrono starting and resetting as it should.

Model: Heuer Autavia 73463 "Israel Defence Forces"
Serial number: 202068
Movement: Heuer 7734

Please note that this military 73463 in a 73663 case is not that rare. For those who want to know a bit more on that:
http://chronocentric.com/forums/heuer/index.cgi?page=1;md=read;id=78601

Ok, that's it. I just want to stress on the fact this really is a very rare watch.
I know of only one other with the "IDF" engraving on the case-back and that is the watch Shaun Wainstein ownes.
You can see his watch here: http://thoughts.onthedash.com/thoughts/autavia-50th-birthday-scrapbook/
I heard from another collector that he has seen another one in the US. So I assume there will be some others we don't know of.
But still a super super rare watch. We also all know the result of some of these IDF's on recent auctions. That was crazy, I agree. But it gives us an idea on how desirable
these military watches are at this moment.

Price: accepting offers starting from €13k

( I personally value this watch higher but the owner decided to give as many as possible collectors the chance to make a bid )
( We reserve the right to end the auction at any time if a very good offer comes in )
( I give a full refund in case of any problem or if the watch would not be as described )

Kind regards,
Bernard

Messages In This Thread

FS: EXTREMELY RARE HEUER AUTAVIA 73463 ISRAEL DEFENCE FORCES
SOLD / thanks to CT and the guys from Hodinkee *NM*
HODINKEE
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE