The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
My thoughts, some revisited, some new...

Most of you have read my previous thoughts on the new Autavia Classic's model. I consider them a nice effort that would have been far better if TAG-Heuer had gone the full course and used an El-Primero Movement instead of the Dubois-Depraz Piggyback movement. It seems common sense to me that if you hope to woo back fans/collectors of the Pre-TAG Heuer, you have to do it with watch movements that are appealing to them, not a compromise. For more on what I'd like to see TAG-Heuer do, I direct you to the second and third portions of this post and that entire thread...

As for the new Dashboard timer and the set.

I think the set is beautiful. The box is tastefully done, and the dashboard timer is gorgious. I like the appearance of the timer, I know that the appearance of TAG on the dial will strike some with a certain level of abhorance. The usage of Heuer instead of TAG-Heuer on Classic's items is something that T-H should strongly consider because it will only improve sales, not hinder them. I'm curious why a set of 70... Perhaps the introduction of the original Autavia?

I also hope that this is not the last we see of Dashboard timers offered by TAG-Heuer. Sinn is making these currently, and it's ashame to not see TAG-Heuer at least offer them a little friendly competition!

The only problem with commemorative models like this is that they usually end up living inside the box or on display and not being used. I own a 20th Anniversary Speedmaster (1169/2000) and I'm almost afraid to wear it, it's so pretty and has such a cool number...

But overall, they are a great thing to see, and I hope this offering is a beginning for the firm, not an end.

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox (Article index @ http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html)

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE