The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Mixed emotions...

: The photograph was taken at the British Grand
: Prix, held at Silverstone, in 1971. Later
: that year, Siffert was racing in an
: non-Formula One event, at Brands Hatch, so
: Sue had Siffert autograph the photograph for
: her prior to the race. She wish himed luck
: before the race, and watched him drive out
: of the pits and onto the track. He was
: killed in a crash a few laps later.

That is so sad... I think of so many other GREAT drivers that I admired while growing up: Pedro Rodríguez, Mark Donahue, Peter Revson, Swede Savage, Ronnie Peterson, Giles Villeneuve who perished behind the wheel... I well up... The first Indy 500 I saw Mark Donahue won. He was an amazing man, (Revson was on the front row the next year)... I also attended the first two days of the tragic 1973 race (that was rain delayed from Monday through Wednesday). Swede Savage was critically injured the day the restarted the race (when I was back at school) and later died. Revson and Donahue both died testing F1 cars (Donahue after he came out of retirement to do so)...

So many talented drivers and likely all great people in person... I'm so glad that racing is much safer now than it was then although danger still abounds...

: Sue will be providing additional photos of Jo
: Siffert, and we will be creating a section
: of OnTheDash covering Siffert, parallel to
: the McQueen / Le Mans / Monaco section. [The
: link below will take you to our page
: covering the Siffert Autavia.]

: Thanks to Jonathan Scatchard for the
: introduction to Sue; thanks to Sue for the
: photograph, the conversation and the
: prospect of working together.

I think it's great to have the additional documentation. While it is very sad, they all died doing something they were profoundly good at and something they loved. It would be nice if we could all say that.

It will be nice to have a special spot for Jo here on OTD with some unique photos not seen anywhere else.

-- Chuck

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE