The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: New Autavia Chrono and Dash Mount Set

Ah, the question of sanity vs. rarity has resurfaced once again. I have to admit that the new Autavia set is quite beautiful from the two photos submitted. The bezel, the dial (OH NO! the dreaded 'TAG' on top of the Heuer sign!), the back plate, and the available color patterns are nicely executed. However, the 'special' introductory price is simply outrageous. The island of Taiwan will receive two sets, one black and one white, according to the island's importer. ASKING price of TWD$260,000.00 (approximately USD$7650 with today's exchange rate) As of today, the agent did not mention whether the two sets of Autavia have been spoken for or not! As a fan of Heuer's dash watches from the 50's to 70's (okay, okay, I will include THEM plastic cased dash watches from the late 70's to 80's) I have mixed emotions regarding this new dash watch. First, speaking FOR the new Autavia. The new Autavia dash watch represents something new, it's not really an extension of a recognized model, ie Super Autavia. However, it does combine functions from Heuer's dash watches from yesteryears, including SA. So from the uniqueness POV, the new watch is quite exciting, I certainly would consider adding one to my collection. Now, my gripe AGAINST the new Autavia dash watch. If I am not wrong, the German firm SINN is involved in making the 'new' Autavia dash watch. SINN makes beautiful dash board instruments and still does. But I would rather have a re-issue watch from TAG-Heuer than a watch of a questionable lineage. Although the movement issue can be categorized into this sore point, I am simply stating my opinion against putting your own dial on someone else's watch. It would be nice to see these dash watches made available again. Stewart's point of pairing up new Autavia with perhaps a MasterTime is quite fascinating. So, what do say, TAG-Heuer, how about re-issuing or simply offering a completely new Rallye Master pair to commemorate the upcoming half century mark of this venerable and illusive pair of dash watches? Now that would be a NICE PAIR in anyone's collection!

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE