|The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.|
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
My first posting from 4 weeks ago had a lot of faults. Mixed up pictures etc. Sorry;-( Now it is fixed or at least much better. But this is a project that is under constant development so when I get more info and more watches in the database I will come back. Any comment is welcome.
KAF (Kenya Air Force) Autavia research project
During the last year or so I have collected information of Autavia’s issued to Kenya Air Force.
Every time I have come across an KAF Autavia I have registered the available information and when possible, reached out to whoever posted the watch. Big thanks to a lot of fellow collectors.
If you have a KAF that is not on the list or one that is missing information, please support this project my sending me the info. I will update now and then.
If you want the Excel spreadsheet and the Word document with the pictures let me know.
I have gathered these information’s:
• Until 1982 it was KAF followed by a 2- or 3-digit number.
• On 1 August 1982 a group of Air Force officers failed a coup, whereafter the KAF was disbanded and became part of the army as 82 Air Force. The numbering changed to 82AF followed by a 3-digit number.
• I have found 4 types and named them:
• Small big – Still small, but bigger than small
• Big – KAF and the number is separated with a hyphen
• Handwritten – Big writing engraved by hand
• Calibre 12 - Automatic 12-hour 2 register chrono.
• Valjoux 7736 - Manual 12-hour 3 register chrono.
• Valjoux 7740/1 - Manual 12-hour 2 register chrono. The baseplate is stamped 7741 and it is probably a 7741 with the GMT wheel removed. So it functions as a Valjoux 7740 but has the thickness of a 7741.
Heuer reference number:
• 11630 (Calibre 12)
• 11063(V) (Calibre 12)
• 73663 (Valjoux 7736)
• 741603 (Valjoux 7740/1)
• Normal – Viceroy style with red tips and hour markings or another design as on civilian executions.
• Arabic – Shauntavia style with digits positioned radial - red hour markings.
• Arabic orange – As Arabic but orange hour markings (Villeneuve style).
• Plongeur - Original or not? Does not come with the decompression bezel.
• MH – Minute/Hour.
• They were probably all MH when delivered to KAF.
• Only on a few watches. Need more info here.
Face and case back picture:
• “Y” if the picture exists
• This information is not public as not everybody wants to reveal their names.
• Web link too watches that were found on the internet. Not public.