The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
I agree with Jeff for the most part...
In Response To: Looks Nice / Rust Worries Me ()

For me, this is a favorite version of the Carrera -- three regsiters; nice clean version of the dial (no tachy, decimal minutes, etc.). The case looks nice.

For the most part I am in complete agreement with Jeff. I am exceedingly fond of the LEmania 5100 Carrera's but this model is the Carrera in it's purest form.

my concern would be the rust in the movement. seller indicates that the movement is aged and and shows some rust; I would have a watchmaker study the photograph, and tell you what he thinks of it; marks on the dial may also indicate that some water (or something) got inside.

While don't see any huge amounts of rust, it certainly isn't the cleanest movement I've ever seen. The dial isn't awful but the main timekeeping hands will need to have some attention (at least if it were in my collection) and from the side view there are a couple of marks near the minute track that I didn't initially see from the straight on view...

seller has good feedback and seems to be a watch professional . . . maybe see if you can learn more about the condition of the movement . . . he seems to be open to requests for additional information.

The case looks real clean, been polished once or twice, but not overly so compared to many. The crown does not appear to have the Heuer logo on it and it should have one if it's an original crown (my example does)...

thanks for posting the message, and good luck with your decision / bid / purchase.

I agree with Jeff in his advice, ask now so you aren't sorry later...

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox (Article index at: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html)

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE