The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Monaco McQueen cheat !
In Response To: Re: Monaco McQueen cheat ! ()

: Hi guys,

: If I remember corectly the were 2 lemans
: Monaco's on ebay 5-10 months ago. One was
: used in the pictures and one in the movie,
: but they were sold to different people.
: I may have a scan of the listings...

Hello Kav. You are correct. The Monaco used in the Publicity Photos was sold to turtleswamp (eBay user name) and the watch actually worn during the filming was purchased by avantnoire (eBay user name). Turtleswamp is Elizabeth and Avantnoire is David. They are Mr. & Mrs. DeVoe, husband and wife who purchased both Steve McQueen Heuer Monaco used in the movie, "24 Hours At Lemans". David sold the one his wife, Elizabeth purchased to Florian Wuertz, who in turn sold it to Lorenzo Matteucci. During my research of these actual Steve McQueen Heuer Monaco, I corresponded with the movie Property Manager, who sold the two "McQueen's" on eBay. He confirmed that both the original Steve McQueen Monaco's used in the movie were purchased by David and Elizabeth. During this reseach, the movie Property Manager revealed that he still had in his possession a third Heuer Monaco that was one of the orignal three received from Heuer. That Heuer Monaco was the back up watch in the event any of them were damaged, lossed or stolen. If you accept that the first two that were sold on eBay as being original "Steve McQueen's Heuer Monacos used '24 Hours at Lemans'", then it is only reasonable to accept the third Heuer Monaco as original. The Documentation that accompanies these two "Steve McQueen Heuer Monacos" are signed by the Property Manager of the movie guaranteeing authenticity. If the Property Manager ever decides to sell the third McQueen Monaco, I am sure that it will have the same documentation guaranteeing authenticity as the first two Monacos. It is my opinion that for a individual to claim he is selling a Steve McQueen Heuer Monaco on eBay or anywhere, unless it was worn by Steve McQueen during the filming of the movie, "24 Hours at Lemans", is a complete misrepresentation of the Heuer Monaco they are selling. I see a lot of Heuer Monacos on eBay all claiming to be Steve McQueen Monacos, which in actuality, all they have in common with the genuine McQueens are either a blue dial or they are Monacos with different colored dials. Of course I know that all knowledgeable Heuer Collectors know the difference, but I am seeing a lot of new Heuer collectors starting to collect and they should be aware of misrepresentation in title descriptions. Somehow I have managed to get off on a completely different subject. For the most part it is a seller just vieing for the attention of the buyer, with no harm intended. Good collecting to all. Charles Rush

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE