The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
This would be my first choice...
In Response To: Vintage Heuer Carrera on Ebay ()

Vintage Heuer Carrera on Ebay

Posted By: B. Temple Date: 7/17/03 16:09 GMT

O.k. another old heuer carrera is on ebay -- this time an abercrombie n' fitch version. Item#2646016644. Any impressions? I'm (still) deciding between a vintage heuer carrera (like this one), one of the new re-released manual tag heuer carreras, or a Chopard Mille Migilia (gasp -- I know this is a Heuer forum). Just curious on folks thoughts -- especially between a vintage v. new heuer carrera. ?

Let me attack this query in reverse order...

Chopard Mille Migilia... Don't know a t'ing 'bout 'em... I'd scrutinize the movement utilized and if it's an ETA/Dubois-Depraz I'd skip it. Those are my biases and I'm sticking with them.

Contemporary Heuer Carrera (1964 Re-Edition): Great watch with arguably a better movement than the original (I think the Lemania 1873 is a better movement than a Valjoux 72, but they are both good calibres), nothing bad to say about them (other than they aren't the originals), I expect 10, 15 and 20 years from now they will be just as avidly sought after as the vintage models are.

The Particular Vintage Carrera you pointed out... Very sharp looking piece (based on the one picture the seller provided) and the A & F printing is very unusual and uncommon (it's the first I've seen, but I've only been looking for about 5 years now). Before pulling the trigger, I'd contact the seller and ask for any additional pictures they have of the watch especially the movement. If the movement looks dirty or has obvious problems I'd pass. I would also ask if the watch is operating properly and keeping good time (+/- 15 seconds a day). If the answers are all good, this would be my first choice. Followed by the Re-Edition.

Best of fortune!

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox (Article index @ http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html)

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE