The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
1929 racing boat dash

Greetings,

I have already started a discussion with two other Heuer collectors and while replying to my emails, the suggestion has been made to post on this forum so here goes.

My boat, Scotty, raced at the 1929 Gold Cup and came in second. She never raced nationally after that and I have been slowly getting her back in operation over a period of 18 years. One item I would like to complete is the matter of a stopwatch for the dash.

The races Scotty competed in were from a moving start that counted down starting five minutes prior. The heats rarely lasted more than 30 minutes and each lap would take around 5 minutes. So, my specific questions are:

What brands/makes/models would you recommend I look for?
Do you know of any that are available?
Other than ebay, where should I be looking?

The Heuer Autavia has been suggested, (and I am very partial to Heuer as I have owned one for almost 20 years). My tachometer is made by Elgin and so an Elgin stopwatch would also work (but I don't think Elgin watches really compare with the other brands).

Whatever route I go, the piece should 'fit' not only the time frame of the boat (late 20s, very early 30s) but should look like it really belongs on the dash.

Once I figure out how to post a photo, I'll show you what the boat looks like now, including the dash and a few other boats for comparison.

Thanks,
Mark

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE