The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: 2 plates f. dashboard Heuers

Ralf

Jeff contacted me with regard to this question and here is my comment, based on some research I have done and a little Heuer knowledge.

The plate on the left looks like a genuine Heuer item; however - the quality of the milling seems a little poor although it appears to have been done by hand as the originals were, i.e. not automatically machined otherwise it would have a series of 25mm diameter 'swirls' inside the main cut out. Its tough to tell exactly with the picture at this oblique angle.

In addition the countersunk holes are quite roughly cut on the left, possibly indicating that a not so skillful craftsman made this. Alternatively it may just have been rechromed and it is notoriouly difficult to polish up 'as new', particularly in smallcut outs. Having said that the cut out for the crown is very square, indicating that its not a heuer original.

lastly the thickness of the plate is not quite as the originals I suspect (the one on the right is the real thing) and I think that this is possibly made from a metric plate size, again pointing to it not being a heuer item.

my judgement would be that this is a either a very very tatty original, made good, or a copy for another manufacturer or private source.

Also check the back for the usual lettering, either die stamped or finely engraved at about what would be about 1mm high letters.

The plate on the right by comparision looks like the earlier thicker type (probably stamped ED Heuer & Co on the back ?) and you can see straight away the fine quality of the milling and depth of profectus / chrome finish. Tis one just looks right.

Hope this is useful.

Regards

Tony

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE