The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
That Stein... big time troublemaker!!!

Heuer helps get to the moon

Posted By: Jim Nichols Date: 8/24/03 20:27 GMT

I just watched the History Channel special "Failure Was Not An Option" a derivitive from the book of the same title all about the Apollo mission control years.

Well, there were several archival footage videos of guys in the control room who were wearing Heuer Carrera watches.

I doubt that even the most ardent Omega enthusiast will deny that going to the moon was a singular one brand effort. I'm not the most ardent Omega enthusiast, and you wouldn't believe the replies and posts when I say things like:
For most common day to day use the operation of the Valjoux 72 is comparable to the c.321/c861. I prefer the c.321, c.861 then V.72, but even I admit that unless you really go to extremes they are in the same league.

Hmmm... Then again, strike my first sentence, there are some pretty ardent Omega enthusiasts out there.

Best part was that they showed a vintage, late 60's stopwatch which was used to count down the remaining fuel as the Apollo 11 Lunar module overshot the landing zone. The mission controller had 15 seconds of fuel left before the landing!

I wasn't watching so closely that I caught that...

Omega may be the first wrist watch to land on the moon, but a Heuer got it there!!

Well... Hmmm, I don't know that I'd go _that_ far, but I am sure that a variety of watches, stopwatches and timers were used in the Apollo programs. Heuer promenent among them. Certainly Heuer helped. And it probably didn't break like the on-board Accutron...

Messages Like this That Make it all Worthwhile

Posted By: jeff stein Date: 8/24/03 20:39 GMT

In Response To: Heuer helps get to the moon (Jim Nichols)

Jim:

That is genuinely interesting, and I know someone (in Chicagoland) who is likely to buy the DVD, go through it frame-by-frame, and share the most interesting screen-shots with his fellow enthusiasts. Our man in Chicagoland is particularly interested in the space program and Omegas, and I am certain that he is well-qualified to undertake the review of the program, keeping his eyes open for both brands.

It's messages like this that cause my schedule to be VERY flexible and subject to change...

Where are you, Chuck?? Do you read us??

A round of applause for Jeff Stein everyone, the holder of the Honorary "Conrad Dobler" (troublemaker) chair at OTD...

The bad news... I wasn't watching so closely last night, between phone calls and other interruptions, that I caught all of that. However, I did tape it and the late showing of Apollo 13 with Jim Lovell on a EP VHS tape. I'll try to tape it again at SP this week until I get the DVD in house... Is the DVD even out yet? Another thing to investigate...

Thanks to Jim for the interesting message.

Jeff

This is going to be great! I can't wait!!! *NM*

Posted By: marcos ortega Date: 8/25/03 05:00 GMT

See what I mean... It starts already... Troublemaker!

Viewing will be behind these most likely:

Project Gemini - A Bold Leap Forward (2002)
Over 6 hours of viewable material
Ê
The Mighty Saturns - Saturn I and IB (2002)
Over 6 hours of viewable material
Ê
Apollo 8 - Leaving the Cradle (2002)
Over 4 hours of viewable material
Ê
Apollo 11 - Men on the Moon (2002)
Over 10 hours of viewable material
It might be a while...

=)

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox (Article index @ http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html)

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE