The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Battery Life in quartz Seamaster models?

On 18 March 1999 my wife and I gave each other Seamaster Professional Diver watches as anniversary presents.

My wife's watch is model no. 2382.2000. On Saturday, 31 July, we noticed the second hand had begun jumping in 4-second increments, which is of course the low battery indicator. Seven hours later the watch stopped completely. Since she had checked the time within the previous half-hour and noticed nothing wrong, this seems to indicate that once that signal begins there's not much life left in the battery.

Presumably that battery had been in place, and the watch running, from the time it left the factory.

So, my question to the forum is, what kind of battery life should one expect with an OMEGA quartz movement? Even though I accept that batteries do run down, frankly, it upsets me that my wife only got four months and two weeks of usage out of this fine timepiece before the battery ran out, while a five-year-old digital watch costing one-fortieth the price of the Seamaster is still humming happily along on its original battery.

Now, the battery must be replaced and the seals verified to assure the water resistance of the watch. While I realize that I'm probably going to have to (over)pay for both services, I am not very happy about it.

Comments anyone?(feel free to email if you prefer)

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE