The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

A discussion forum for chronographs, dive watches and other tool-type wristwatches and timepieces

This forum is for DISCUSSING tool type watches within following categories:
Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the ChronoTrader Policies and Terms of Use. Learn more about How To Include Photos In Your Postings. No FOR SALE, WANT TO TRADE and other ADs--they belong in our ChronoTrader Sales Forum.

New Seiko Mechanical Chrono

As it resembles the Heuer 2446C, maybe this new Seiko, SAGK003, could interest some of you...

There is no doubt this is a very high quality watch. IMO SEIKO got almost everything right. See my quick bullets below for first impressions:

CASE, CROWN and CRYSTAL:
- Bezel diameter, 40.8mm
- case, almost 42mm
- Glass, 35mm
- lug to lug 49.4mm
- lug space 21mm
- Height, 15.4mm

The watch is perceived much bigger than the numbers suggest.
For my 7.5" wrist it has the perfect size. The large dial and narrow bezel helps as does the thickness. The curved lugs hugs the wrist in a nice way.
The case is nicely polished all over except for the back which seems to be brushed. Lugholes makes switching band easy (but I will never do that as the stock band is perfect).
The tachy numbers are engraved and filled with an off-white color (same as the subdials and the lumed hands and indexes).
The crown is signed "AUTOMATIC CHRONOGRAPH", not screw down and has a butter smooth feel when winding. Nice size, easy to grip.
The wide sapphire crystal is double domed with AR on the inside.
Easy to operate pushers.

DIAL and HANDS:
Perfect 3-6-9 layout. Perfect colors, black, off-whte (beige) sub dials and just enough amount of red for the chrono functions. The black dial is just black, neither shiny nor matte. Nicely facetted indexes with Lumibrite (same color as sub dials when not "lit") shining with a green lume, matched between hands and indexes.
Very simplistic dial with almost no script, just SEIKO and AUTOMATIC. I would have preferred less distnce between the two words. The font used for the nbrs on the sub dials will also require some getting used to for me. Skeletonized white hour and minute hands. Continous second hand is silver and chrono hands red.
White text on black date at 4:30.
Very easy to read both time and elapsed chrono time on this one!

BAND:
Fitted, large scale black croc with just tiny spots of red thread. I can only say perfect! The clasp is a single deployant signed SEIKO.

MOVEMENT:
8R28 automatic chronograph with column wheel with vertical clutch.
34 jewels, 45h power reserve.
Quality feeling when operated. Absolutely no play or any movement in the seconds hand when engaged or stopped. Also the chrono minutes hand does NOT jump 1 step when the seconds hand has completed one revolution, instead it is continously moving. Nice touch indeed.
The date is very rapid, starts moving just one minute before it changes.
I have not performed any timing test yet, but I am sure it will be much better than the +25 / -15 spd SEIKO specifies.

CONCLUSION:
For me this is the ultimate chronograph. And as me it looks much older than it is. Perfect size and colors, easy to read and operate. At a street price around 2k USD for an all inhouse quality column wheel chrono it is nothing less than a bargain!

WELL DONE SEIKO!

Stefan

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE