The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

A discussion forum for chronographs, dive watches and other tool-type wristwatches and timepieces

This forum is for DISCUSSING tool type watches within following categories:
Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the ChronoTrader Policies and Terms of Use. Learn more about How To Include Photos In Your Postings. No FOR SALE, WANT TO TRADE and other ADs--they belong in our ChronoTrader Sales Forum.

What's a "tool watch"? And not an Omega --- uh-hh-

As some of you know, my collection is centered on Omega and is not slanted toward tool watches . . .

But I have a few that qualify:

This Lusserna chronograph

Never heard of Lusserna? Let's take a closer look at the movement

Macy's -- yep, the department store.

The HXM is their Swiss export mark. Macy's actually had watches made for them in Switzerland.

And guess who made this movement? I'm not telling, but I bet this group will figure it out

Another lesser known, but kind of cool chronograph

A Dubey & Schaldenbrand from about 1960

Any guesses what that is for?

Jeff's opening post mentions Tissots and GMTs

This isn't exactly a GMT, but it is a Tissot

This is a world timer, and was sold in the US as the Navigator.

The inner disk turns at a 24 hour pace and the time anywhere in the world is read from the face.

Regular time is read from the hands and the bezel.

This one is from 1952 and has a Tissot 28.5 N 21 T bumper in wonderful shiny copper plating inside.

I may as well test the rules here -- Jeff and Chuck: is a driver's watch a tool watch?

I don't own this one any more, but it was certainly purpose built

Besides, Chuck thinks this is the mechanical predecessor to RoboChrono

Testing the definitions again (this is fun!)

Jeff and Chuck, is an alarm watch a tool watch?

Even if it is a Baume et Mercier, tiny and kind of frilly, double crowned manual with an Adolf Schild 1475?

How about a workmanlike single crown Lanco-Fon?

I guess I actually have more tool watches than I thought . . . These are the pieces from the 1960s and before.

One final watch for this post:

My wife insists this one is a tool watch

She says it is so ugly, I must have purchased it to torture her :)

That makes it purpose purchased, if not purpose built?

Sam aka Hewybaby

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE