The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

Counterfeit Watchers Discussion Forum

A forum for identifying and avoiding wholly or partially non-authentic wristwatches -- including counterfeit, replica, Frankenwatches and other fake or bastardized pieces. Our objective here is to DISCOURAGE the sales and purchase of counterfeit wristwatch and jewelry products. It is also for helping people identify watches that are mostly authentic, but have been: altered for personal customization, repaired with inappropriate parts or modified to be passed off as more valuable pieces.

Including a photo of the piece you are talking about ALWAYS helps! You can learn how to post a photo here: How To Include Photos In Your Postings. 'For sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Links to Internet auctions are acceptable only if their purpose is to question the authenticity of a product or provide new clues for identifying counterfeit products. Links that appear to be 'shills' promoting the sale of counterfeit products will be deleted. Links to websites of sellers of counterfeit items are not permitted -- we know they are out there and do not need to be encouraging them by sending traffic to their sites. Privacy, additional policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

Is this really a replica Omega? -- No it's an illegal fake

I hate to admit it, but I bought my first replica watch. At least the shop told me it's a replica. It keeps great time, and (at least in my opinion) yhr cosmetics are consistent with genuine Omega. I haven't opened the case back yet. Can anyone tell me just by virtue of the attached pics, whether or not this could be a genuine Omega? Or, do I need to open it for inspection? Thanks in advance.

http://i34.tinypic.com/20upuyp.jpg>

http://i37.tinypic.com/zmmwqr.jpg>

100% fake

CajunMike
<href='mailto:mboucpa@cox.net?subject=100% fake'>mboucpa@cox.net>
12/15/08 19:41 GMT

: I hate to admit it, but I bought my first replica watch. At least

: the shop told me it's a replica. It keeps great time, and (at

: least in my opinion) yhr cosmetics are consistent with genuine

: Omega.

This and other forums generally frown on the discussion of replica watches. They are illegal. Don't know what made you buy one, but this is for sure a piece of junk.

I haven't opened the case back yet. Can anyone tell me

: just by virtue of the attached pics, whether or not this could

: be a genuine Omega? Or, do I need to open it for inspection?

: Thanks in advance.

I would open it for kicks. You may want to post pics of the movement so we can have a additional reference for fake movements.

Re: 100% fake

Allen
<href='mailto:raf_3@msn.com?subject=Re: 100% fake'>raf_3@msn.com>
12/15/08 22:02 GMT

Thanks for the responses. Of a very large collection of authentic swiss movements, this is the only fake that I've ever had in my hands. I certainly didn't intend to offend anyone, especially those who (like myself) work hard to put on their wrist, and wear with pride, the "real thing". I would be happy to open the back, and provide pics of the case back and movement...BUT, only if I'm not further violating forum rules, or further walking on anyones sensitivities.

Please do excuse my faux pas, and let me know if further pics are desired and permitted.

david moose
<href='mailto:moose859@hotmail.com?subject=Re: 100% fake'>moose859@hotmail.com>
12/15/08 23:33 GMT

: Thanks for the responses. Of a very large collection of authentic

: swiss movements, this is the only fake that I've ever had in my

: hands. I certainly didn't intend to offend anyone, especially

: those who (like myself) work hard to put on their wrist, and

: wear with pride, the "real thing". I would be happy to

: open the back, and provide pics of the case back and

: movement...BUT, only if I'm not further violating forum rules,

: or further walking on anyones sensitivities.

: Please do excuse my faux pas, and let me know if further pics are

: desired and permitted.

Hi Allen. I'm gonna go ahead and admit it, I've been tempted more than once to buy a fake and either beat it, or dismantle it. I for one, would love to see it taken apart, photographed, and given a run down of what it's really made of. If it's not against the rules, I think it would be very informative. And for what its worth, it really doesn't look that bad. And, if you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for it? Thanks........David

PS: Kinda rough on the guy, ain't ya Mike?

Allen
<href='mailto:raf_3@msn.com?subject=Re: 100% fake'>raf_3@msn.com>
12/15/08 23:48 GMT

: Hi Allen. I'm gonna go ahead and admit it, I've been tempted more

: than once to buy a fake and either beat it, or dismantle it. I

: for one, would love to see it taken apart, photographed, and

: given a run down of what it's really made of. If it's not

: against the rules, I think it would be very informative. And for

: what its worth, it really doesn't look that bad. And, if you

: don't mind me asking, what did you pay for it?

: Thanks........David

: PS: Kinda rough on the guy, ain't ya Mike?

David,

Thanks for the salve. I'll email the pics to you. The movement is marked with the ETA trademark, 2846 (presumably the ETA movement #), and "DM", and 01/1 (some sort of lot/date code?). It looks like the ETA 2846 movements that I've found at Ranfft Watches (Germany), and Smith Supply House (Los Angeles), of course these part markings could be faked also. Thanks again...here come the pics to your email.

david moose
<href='mailto:moose859@hotmail.com?subject=Re: 100% fake'>moose859@hotmail.com>
12/16/08 00:12 GMT

: David,

: Thanks for the salve. I'll email the pics to you. The movement is

: marked with the ETA trademark, 2846 (presumably the ETA movement

: #), and "DM", and 01/1 (some sort of lot/date code?).

: It looks like the ETA 2846 movements that I've found at Ranfft

: Watches (Germany), and Smith Supply House (Los Angeles), of

: course these part markings could be faked also. Thanks

: again...here come the pics to your email.

Hey, Thanks Allen. I'm looking forward to them. We all dislike fakes, but any of us would lying if we said we were not just a little intrigued by them. As in where the movements were made, the case, crystal ect. You didn't state what the cost of the watch was, but there are some very good fakes out there that have ETA swiss movements on board, great case and dial work that would be quite a nice watch on it's own merits. The only problem I have with these watches is that they have another manufactures name on them. If they manufacture a product of good quality, just put your own brand on it, and be done with it. But, I suspect that as long as there are people that will buy them, they ain't goin away.............One more thing, what exactly was your reasoning for buying this watch??? Thanks again.............David

ADMIN! I think we are done with this topic

hewybaby
<href='mailto:sjhewitt@comcast.net?subject=I think we are done with this topic'>sjhewitt@comcast.net>
12/16/08 00:24 GMT

: Thanks for the responses. Of a very large collection of authentic

: swiss movements, this is the only fake that I've ever had in my

: hands. I certainly didn't intend to offend anyone, especially

: those who (like myself) work hard to put on their wrist, and

: wear with pride, the "real thing". I would be happy to

: open the back, and provide pics of the case back and

: movement...BUT, only if I'm not further violating forum rules,

: or further walking on anyones sensitivities.

: Please do excuse my faux pas, and let me know if further pics are

: desired and permitted.

We certainly do not encourage fakes. Note the following from our rules:

"Images of counterfeit watches shown on this site are presented for public education and awareness of fake and fraudulent products. As such, they are used without the permission or cooperation of the criminals creating the images to sell these illegally produced items."

You have participated in a crime by purchasing counterfeit merchandise from which the owners of the "007" and "Omega" trademarks have not benefited, and enriched a criminal.

I think we should be done with this topic.

Re: I think we are done with this topic

david moose
<href='mailto:moose859@hotmail.com?subject=Re: I think we are done with this topic'>moose859@hotmail.com>
12/16/08 00:59 GMT

: We certainly do not encourage fakes. Note the following from our

: rules:

: "Images of counterfeit watches shown on this site are

: presented for public education and awareness of fake and

: fraudulent products. As such, they are used without the

: permission or cooperation of the criminals creating the images

: to sell these illegally produced items."

: You have participated in a crime by purchasing counterfeit

: merchandise from which the owners of the "007" and

: "Omega" trademarks have not benefited, and enriched a

: criminal.

: I think we should be done with this topic.

Hey Sam, I echo your sentiments. But don't you think this could be quite educational to the members here in helping to spot fakes? I don't condone anyone knowingly buying a fake, but some good may come from this thread..If you know it's a fake, just move on, but if you don't, folks may learn from this thead. That's a good thing, right?................David

mrsnak
12/16/08 02:04 GMT

I bought a fake Rolex Datejust 20 years ago. It was sold to me as a fake, and was a cheap impulse purchase. (Guy with briefcase of watches walks into a friend's business)

Languished in various drawers for years after that. Cracked it open a couple years ago and discovered it was an ETA, not Japanese movement (as was told to me). Never been serviced and runs like a top, though I'm not proud of having supported a fake manufacturer.

So many thing wrongs with that Seamaster.

Biggest giveaway is the (non-functional for you) helium valve at 10 o'clock. Should be higher up.

Given all the good fakes available, I think it'd important to know the differences.

Whether or not other people recognize your watch is not anywhere near as important as you knowing that you are wearing the the high-quality real deal.

NEW: Re: Is this really a replica Omega? Or is it genuine Omega?

JohnK
<href='mailto:johnjr@baytruck.com?subject=Re: Is this really a replica Omega? Or is it genuine Omega?'>johnjr@baytruck.com>
12/16/08 12:55 GMT

: I hate to admit it, but I bought my first replica watch. At least

: the shop told me it's a replica. It keeps great time, and (at

: least in my opinion) yhr cosmetics are consistent with genuine

: Omega. I haven't opened the case back yet. Can anyone tell me

: just by virtue of the attached pics, whether or not this could

: be a genuine Omega? Or, do I need to open it for inspection?

: Thanks in advance.

Well...I guess the jury has spoken. Every single web forum you have posted this watch on has ridiculed it.

NEW: Re: 100% fake

Glenn Souza
<href='mailto:glennsouz@aol.com?subject=Re: 100% fake'>glennsouz@aol.com>
12/16/08 16:44 GMT

I thought this subject was for the counterfeit forum? Knowing about fakes, counterfeits, replicas, franken watches, etc. is important to collectors.

NEW: Re: 100% fake

jim moose
<href='mailto:concretejim@mindless.com?subject=Re: 100% fake'>concretejim@mindless.com>
12/17/08 00:49 GMT

: I thought this subject was for the counterfeit forum? Knowing about

: fakes, counterfeits, replicas, franken watches, etc. is

: important to collectors.

I agree John, I'd love to see the guts of that thing. I've seen some fakes coming along that were scary good in execution

and would take an expert to tell the difference. I'd love the poster to bust that thing open a take a few shots of it before

tossing it in the garbage. I don't care much for the fakes as a collector but I wouldn't mind seeing it up close.

jim

Messages In This Thread

ADMIN! Is this really a replica Omega? -- No it's an illegal fake
Re: Is this really a replica Omega? -- No it's an illegal fa
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE