The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Picture sites as geographically separate chapters…

A couple of thoughts from an "outsider" Posted By: eptaz Date: 1/6/06 15:26 GMT In Response To: My own ramblings.... (John Rochowicz)

Greetings all. I think I've posted over here a few times and I wanted to make a few comments on this topic.

I recognize that user name! Post away!

The thing that struck me is the suggestion that there is competition among forums. To be perfectly honest, this thought has never crossed my mind and, now that it has, it doesn't seem entirely useful.

Why not? There are all sorts of useful competitions are there not?

Do you mean trying to outdo the other guys with information?

I'm not sure who you're asking, John or myself, but I'll take a whack...

Are we talking about competing for users?

We're competing for viewers attention, certainly. We're all striving towards a similar (if not the same) goal: to having all the questions answered and available for perusal. We're all striving to have the best product available in a competitive market.

I've always believed in quality over quantity and, realistically, we're all Omega fans seeking to learn more.

Absolutely, and in fact, in the cases of Steve and myself, we are the "owner/operators" of competing... Well, no, rival? hmmm... not exactly... somewhat complementary websites offering information on Omega's... My offerings are different than Steve's and there is some overlap, and Steve and I are in communication (mostly by email but also IM and phone) numerious times every week typically. But all of our stuff isn't in one place.

Is there a certain degree of prestige or importance in where that knowledge happens to be located? I don't see it that way.

Well, there probably is no prestige or importance associated in having the location with the least amount (both in quality and quantity) of information on the web. That's for sure.

Perhaps (no, certainly), I'm a bit naive, but I consider a degree of camaraderie among the forums.

Absolutely. Any competition is sporting, any rivalry is frendly and we all strive to be gentlemanly and polite towards our neighboring communities...

For reasons of my own, I spend most of my time on WUS but,

Ironically I spend more time on TZ typically than in Chronocentric. I hope to spend more time here in the future.

when I do post on TZ or elsewhere, I don't expect to be chided as "one of those WUS guys."

You shouldn't be... First one who chides anyone in here for being "one of those fellows from over at [name of other website]" let me know, I'll be the first in line to give them a scornful look.

Likewise, when individuals active in other places stop by WUS, they're not greeted as the competition.

I've never felt that way over at WUS, TZ or anywhere... Well, there are the Rolex forums, but that's another story! Oy!

On the contrary, when Chuck occasionally stops by long enough to tolerate the posting format at WUS =)

Ug!

he is greeted warmly and his input is always appreciated. It's certainly not an issue of hoarding knowledge.

Always seems to be. Then again I've known three of the four Omega forum moderators over at WUS longer than they've been moderators. So, we have a past history together and also in working together on projects in the past, especially JM and RJ with me.

As some of you may lurk on TZ or WUS,

I do.

I pop my head in here a couple of times a week.. I know that Steve and others here are quite knowledgeable and, in pursuit of my own greater understanding of all things Omega, I seek every means available. I wouldn't expect that I might be considered a spy, looking to steal sensitive information to disperse elsewhere.

Nah, the Omega community is one of open curtains and unlocked doors for the most part. It's all good as long as credit is given when it's due.

I hate to sound trite but, I don't see one forum as better or worse than another; they're just different.

They each have their own talents, gifts and atmospheres.

I happen to know more people at WUS and there, I feel most comfortable

I've been a regular over at TZ for so long actually since before they had a separate Omega forum)... It's not that Derek (and now Steve, Keith [ironically myself and Jeff]) at Chronocntric and Ernie, RJ, JM, Jon (and the 4th fellow who's name I can't remember) at WUS don't run great establishments... It's just I've been most comfortable hanging out in the bar that is TZOF...

(and, frankly, I actually prefer the layout).

Zounds! 8-o.... Seek help!

TZ has so many active participants that my, albeit limited knowledge isn't very helpful there. I'm certainly not crucial to WUS either but, there are more than a dozen people on TZ that can offer the same answers that I could.

I and others have worked hard to make it that way so we don't have to answer all the questions ourselves! Often time any more I prefer to sit back and let others take lead in answering questions, so they don't feel "Well Chuck jumped in there and answered it so I don't need to"...

I appreciate Chronocentric. The discussions here can be informative and interesting and the technical information in the Omega Zone is top notch. I would hope that you guys keep doing what you're doing, because it works. There's much to be said about having a good time, rather than viewing it as some sort of power struggle with other places.

It's not, has never been and I hope it'll never be a power struggle. It's more like... Hmmm... Classic car clubs from different geographical regions... TZ is the Los Angeles Chapter of the Corvette/Mustang/Thunderbird/GTO/Mini/MG/Porsche/Ferrari/Shelby-American/[pick your choice] collectors club, WUS is the New York (or more appropriately New Amsterdam) chapter, and we here at Chronocentric are the Atlanta chapter. There will always be a certain amount of competition between the different chapters, but we all are gathered together in our shared appreciation of the objects we collect, and all rivalrys/competitions are done in fun, sportingly and with good cheer/humor.

I look forward to stopping by again soon. Thanks for listening.

Thanks for stopping by, thanks for speaking up!

eric

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

Chronographs, like most finer things in life, only improve with time...
Watch Article Index: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html,
Watch Links Page: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/watch.html,
Watch Blog: http://chuckmaddoxwatch.blogspot.com/.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE