The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: 1970-84 era was better than the 1985-2000 eta

1970-84 era was better than the 1985-2000 eta era Posted By: georges zaslavsky Date: 3/28/06 19:43 GMT

Well... I enjoyed the 60's-80's era myself a great deal...

In Response To: "… 1970s (The Decade That Taste Forgot)" (Chicagoland Chuck Maddox)

Hi

I have something to say it is that in the 70's some awesome chronograph movements like the 1340/5100 and 910/911 were born.

The c.860 and c.930 DeVille's the Bullhead, and even the Speedsonic movements were very cool as well. I don't expect Georges to gush all over the Speedsonic, but I am sure even he'd agree they were very interesting and different from todays "cookie-cutter" ETA's. Not that "Cookie Cutting" is a bad thing, but...

I think the markII, markIII, markIV, flightmaster, speed 125 and seamaster 120 diving chrono, the diving watches and models designed in the 1970's are far more original and have far better quality movements than a $175 modified eta 2892-a2 or any modified and very common/pedestrian valjoux 7750.

Here is where Georges and I differ... I feel that the 7750 is a very good movement too. I prefer an El-Primero (at least in some instances) and/or the 5100 (in more instances) over the 7750 and it's ilk, but the 7750 is a quality movement. I liken it to the small-block Chevy V-8. Everyone has one or has seen hundreds of them, and few people get excited at the sight of them, but if they weren't good, people wouldn't use them.

At least in the 70's-early 80's, you never heard chrono resetting probems or problems with selfwinding calibres.

I find the 60's, 70's and the '80's to be the thickest portion of the bell-curve that is my interest in watches. Not that there aren't '50's/earlier and more recent watches that also interest me too.

just my opinion

Yup. Georges, at some point you are should try to find an inexpensive Valjoux 72 and/or 7750 just to try and wear for some time. If for no other reason so you have that experience under your belt. I won't wager or predict if your opinion would change any, but I suspect the chances of your opinion/biases with these movements moving towards the more favorable range being at least equal if not greater than the chances of your opinion of them staying the same or worsening.

Perhaps something in a Zodiac, Certina, O&W, Sinn or Zodiac might be right down your alley. You could treat it as your "Beater"/"High risk of damage" watch, for when you don't want to scar up your Mark IV...

regards

I think I had been collecting for at least three years before I bought my first v.72, and I have found them to be enjoyable watches to wear. I'm not saying you will necessarily come to like them or even grudgingly admit they they aren't all bad, but just thinking that you are closing yourself off to some very nice, interesting and fun watches. Life is simply too short to not at least give them a run around the block.

Just a thought...

georges

Cheers!

--

Chuck

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE