The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

a great debate in perspective

1)Well... I enjoyed the 60's-80's era myself a great deal...
2) I don't expect Georges to gush all
over the Speedsonic, but I am sure even he'd
agree they were very interesting and different from todays "cookie-cutter" ETA's. Not that
"Cookie Cutting" is a bad thing,
but...
3)Here is where Georges and I differ... I feel
that the 7750 is a very good movement too. I
prefer an El-Primero (at least in some
instances) and/or the 5100 (in more
instances) over the 7750 and it's ilk, but
the 7750 is a quality movement. I liken it
to the small-block Chevy V-8. Everyone has
one or has seen hundreds of them, and few
people get excited at the sight of them, but
if they weren't good, people wouldn't use
them.
4)I find the 60's, 70's and the '80's to be the thickest portion of the bell-curve that is my
interest in watches. Not that there aren't
'50's/earlier and more recent watches that
also interest me too.
5)Yup. Georges, at some point you are should try to find an inexpensive Valjoux 72 and/or 7750 just to try and wear for some time. If for no other reason so you have that experience under
your belt. I won't wager or predict if your
opinion would change any, but I suspect the
chances of your opinion/biases with these
movements moving towards the more favorable
range being at least equal if not greater
than the chances of your opinion of them
staying the same or worsening.
6)Perhaps something in a Zodiac, Certina, O&W,
Sinn or Zodiac might be right down your
alley. You could treat it as your "Beater"/"High risk of damage" watch, for when you don't want
to scar up your Mark IV...
7)I think I had been collecting for
at least three years before I bought my
first v.72, and I have found them to be
enjoyable watches to wear. I'm not saying
you will necessarily come to like them or
even grudgingly admit they they aren't all
bad, but just thinking that you are closing
yourself off to some very nice, interesting
and fun watches. Life is simply too short to
not at least give them a run around the
block.
1)yes a great period in termsof cars and watches
2)the speedsonic was a very interesting movement it was also chronometer rated as far as I can remember
3)if the 7750 wouldn't woble and would have almost the same power reserve than the lemania 1350 then I would consider it. There is a brand who modifies the 7750 into a column wheel, I think Golanay -Spielner but the 7750 from this brand is evn etter than the 1164 f Omega to bad it is a made on orde watch but a great one.Theel primero scares me about its fairly high revision cost about 600 euros at zenith, 300 euros at my watchmaker but fairly long to service.
4)ok
5)I was about to buy a space compax but had other expenses. It was a box and papers model in new old stock condition. What bugs me on the valjoux 72 is its finish and its power reserve, I am not even talking about the accuracy. Except the very modified valjoux 72 like the ones you find on daytos, a standard valjoux is probably no match to a lemania 2310/2320
6)I will think about it but you know how I am demanding
7)I imagine what it would have been if you were a rolex chrono collector :) Finding a chrono with a greatly modified valjoux 72 isn't easy but I don't despair.

regards

georges

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE