The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

more precisions

Hi

When I met Marco Richon in 2004 (for a special occasion when Omega's staff was in Omega Paris Flagshipstore for a special moonwatch exhibition) who was wearing the prototype of the 33xx there was Daniel Anselmi who was there and he was wearing the prototype of the Deville Coaxial Rattrapante with the 36xx. I asked to both what are the tests done to the new movements chronograph and non chronograph movements included? They answered, shock tests, antimatignetic tests, the start, frequent stop and reset tests done with chronographs otherwise they said the tests are the same tests that the 1120 and coaxial series of movements pass. I also asked at that time if the movement could be considered as robust as the 321 or 861 series of movements but they never answered to this question.
I also have other feedback from a friend of my uncle who worked at le Brassus at Frederic Piguet on the 1186 when it was introduced on Blanpains years ago. He said me that the movement is a work of art but it is not a movement intended for rough activities.
The 3612 series of movement is completely different from the 1186 in terms of height and diameter, it is has a larger height and a larger diameter than the 1186 but otherwise it is based on the frederic piguet 1286 edition speciale de luxe.
See the numerous problems that occured with the 33xx (more especially in the USA, tough I rarely if not never heard of 33XX problems in Europe)and please don't tell me it is a very reliable and very rugged movement because it is not the case. The 321, 861, 1040 and 1045 are rugged and fully proven movements.
Yes Omega made an exceptional movement in terms of finish and complications.But I certainly doubt about this movement durability and ruggedness, knowing the various problems that happened with the 33xx and I am not sure that Omega solved the 33xx problems from a definitive manner. On the opposite,Rolex did solve its 4130 problems from an efficient manner so that they never appeared anymore.I am sure you know about Chuck's watchblog, I am sure you read about the very numerous case of 33xx problems. I am not saying that the movement is bad but I don't think this movement is made for rough activities unlike the calibers I quoted before.
Just my opinions and all what I know on this touchy movement subject.

regards and have a nice day

georges

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE