The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

New pejorative watch type

Okay, we all know that a Frankenwatch is a watch that is made up out parts that were not originally included in that watch. The resultant watch can be as begign as an old Omega that was restored with a different caliber movement because the original one is obsolete, or as vile and disgusting as the crap that AuthenticWatches.com cobbles together in their back room, and sells on the internet to unsuspecting victims.

There are also counterfeits and fakes of unending variety that can be seen on Ebay, and here there appear to be two common garden varieties of fraud. The first is the simple cheap reproduction of expensive Omegas, with some being pretty good fakes, and some being real stinkers. Secondly, there is the practice of using real pictures from people like Chuck to sell God only knows what kind of watch, provided that the con artist even bothers to send one to his helpless victim.

I think, however, that there is a far rarer variety of fake running around out there, and that the kind that I will refer to as a "Jackalope watch". Yes, there are countless pictures of them, and you can actually buy stuffed and mounted ones at Wall Drug in South Dakota, but there has NEVER been a live specimen on the face of this earth.

I think the fake that Chuck recently uncovered on Ebay HAS to be a jackalope watch, as it's a complete impossibility for there to be a watch with TWO SEPARATE DATE INDICATIONS, with the additional "complication" (eat your heart out, F.P. Journe!) that one date is NUMERIC and the other is a subdial.

I cannot explain why someone would go to the trouble of concocting such a visual image, and then actually try to SELL a watch that cannot possibly be what this picture depicts it to be, but it seems to have happened. Even for someone with my imagination, this seemed like an impossible stretch. I don't suppose there's much point in holding onto any hope that the new Bond watch is also a jackalope, is there??

Messages In This Thread

New pejorative watch type
That's Funny! *NM*
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE