The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

I did, boy are those pictures popular these days…

Did anyone else notice the COOL new Basel watch ? Posted By: SteveW62 <Steve_Waddington@yahoo.com> Date: 4/7/06 11:02 GMT

Hi Guys,

John posted a link to a post on another forum containing some cool pics of the new Omegas just revealed at Basel.

Here is John's Post

In that link is the following picture...

THAT woke me up !! & got me thinking, "I wonder how many guys know that that is a re-issue ?".

I wager Chuck does...

The main design features of the dial & inner bezel have been taken from a seamaster from the early 70's. Here it is. ( Chuck's Pic

see the similarity ? ( I LOVE the "roulette" inner bezel )

I hope Omega also do a white dialed variant based on the 70's watch , as shown here...

Also Chuck's Pic....

Thanks to John for the original Link

Ahem... [also thanks Chuck for the original pictures?... Hmmm???]

S.

Nice idea, lousy execution.

At least in my opinion...

If you're going to make a "homage" or retro model, at least allow it to have the same functionality as the original 30+ year old model. Sheeesh!

It needs at the very least the facility to rotate that 12/24 hour ring to set a second time zone.

In my opinion it's a lost opportunity to reissue the Flightmaster or at least a c.910/911 model of some stripe...

Now, if Omega brought back the c.910/911 movement (perhaps giving it the Rhodium treatment making them c.1910/1911 movements) they could elect to re-issue the original Flightmaster case
(which would be very popular in today's "Bigger is better" mindset, or make a Speedmaster cased version... Either way... They could use the Seamaster's Roulette Wheel styled bezel instead of the original diver's bezel, or use the black 24-Hour bezel used in the Chronostops of this same era...
As it is, it's a lazy man's (half-arsed)way to invoke the memory of the earlier Seamaster model(s) without having to excert any more effort than produce a new dial.

I simply wish Omega was serious about producing a watch with this functionality once again.

In a perfect world Omega would reissue the Flightmaster as it was (in Rhodium if need be) in a original style case, as a re-issue, hopefully with a roulette or Chronostop style 24-hour rotatable bezel, or... Produce a c.910/c.911 based Speedmaster with the second time-zone hand (and necessary crown to control it at 10 o'clock) or a rotatable external bezel... They could call it "Flightmaster", "Spacemaster", etc. ... Whatever they should choose. I'd speed dial our well known AD to place my order.

But that's just my opinion...

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

Chronographs, like most finer things in life, only improve with time...
Watch Article Index: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html,
Watch Links Page: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/watch.html,
Watch Blog: http://chuckmaddoxwatch.blogspot.com/.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE