The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Costs...

: Could I ask roughly how much a restoration like
: that would cost... it looks brand new.

The final price was quite a lot, but you can save some money.

• The "basic" maintenance service was 630 Swiss francs ( CHF ) ( I'll come back to this )

• New Dial 142 CHF ( I asked for this to be swapped, but Omega said the old one was OK ).
    Georges has picked up on this. the "Old" dial has tritium ( T SWISS MADE T ), the new doesn't ( SWISS MADE ). I knew this before I made my decision. But it would really annoy me to see a perfect watch, with an "old" dial - yellowed markers etc . I've made this mistake on cars. you think the Chrome is OK, but after a respray, the old chrome isn't quite good enough, so I end up buying new Chrome anyway.

• New Case Back 232 CHF ( Omega recommended this, to ensure the waterproofness. I had a think & decided to go ahead. they sent the old one back anyway . the part number suggests they have used the "wrong" case back, but to be honest, I don't mind & won't be opening her up for a few years - if ever)

• New crystal 78 CHF ( No option here... look at the old one !)

• Extract of records 50 CHF ( this is basically a certificate of the data about my watch - shipping date / country etc, that Omega have )

• Postage 30 CHF

So the total was 1162 CHF. BUT I could have saved 424 bringing it down to about 740 CHF.

What amazed me is that the crystal is extra, but in the "service" they swapped the hands, inner rotating bezel , all pushers & crowns etc etc. I also send the watch in WITHOUT it's bracelet. I already have one. I have seen restauration jobs where they send the watch back on a new bracelet. I don't know if there is an extra cost for this.

Finally, I live in Germany. The postal service charged me about 120 Euro's Tax , since the packet came from outside of the Europe :-( I don't know where you are in the world, but you should calculate some import tax into the final cost too.

: Also how long was the watch gone.. I'm looking
: forward to getting my 70's seamaster no
: matter the condition if thats the sort of
: job omega can do to restore it :)

The watch was away for quite a while, but this was mostly my fault.

I sent it in at the start of November. I got a quote within a few days. The quote was valid until Feb 2006. Due to the price & Xmas etc etc I didn't give Omega the OK until almost the very last day.

Once they had the OK, they started on the watch. the initial estimate was for 35 working days & that is about what they took.

So I reckon, 2 months plus postage time is a reasonable time for a job.

One of my next possibilites is a Speedmaster MK II that I have ( my 1st Omega ). I KNOW Omega don't have new cases for these watches & that worried me a bit. but looking at what the made of my old flightmaster case, I think I worried uneccessarily.

I am more than happy with my decision. I must have one of the best flightmasters in the world now.

the only "problem" is that it may be too nice to wear.... but isn't that a GREAT problem to have ?

: Matt

All the Best

Steve

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE