The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

help... lux vs. psuedo lux for the long haul

I need some serious advice from the experts. I need a chrono that can handle anything that I can throw at it( business meetings, camping, workouts, extremely hard knocks)and am considering the 2599.8 !!!or Breitling superocean chrono. I have also looked at Ball Hydrocarbon and Tutima NATO. I really want a watch that I can beat down and still be proud of in the boardroom that will still fill the intrinsic need (hopefully the luxury watch.) Are the psuedo lux watches more durable? The Ball and NATO state about 7000 g's shock resistant. Can Omega and Breitling match that? Approximately what is their shock resistance? I know that the lux watches do not skimp on aesthetics of movement, case, and, bracelet...but can they truly handle the most adverse of conditions. I own my "babied" watch 2531.80 and now need a watch that will do it all and last (with servicing) for at least another ten years. I am aware that the lux watches will hold their value better over time, but this is NOT a watch that I am buying to sell. This a watch that I am looking to spend most or ALL of my time with (except for very formal events or in the tub or shower). I really want the Omega first or Breitling second: due to the Chronometer test and intrinsic value...but can they be counted on when the going gets really tough? I want to rest assured that they can take more punishment than I can. Thank you for the advice!!!!!!!!! Pete

P.S. The watches are all between $2200 and $3000 which is an acceptable expense if it lasts.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE