The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: Omega Ambassadors
In Response To: Omega Ambassadors ()

I do not quite agree. While it looks to me that too many high profile ambassadors may lead to diluting the brand in some ways, I think that Omega, through their choice of ambassadors, could do better.

Tag and (mainly) Rolex have lots of ambassadors, and targeting very different crowds. Tag seem to capitalise on their ties with motor racing, they have the upper hand there. Add one or two fashionable sports/entertainment celebrities and that is it. Otherwise, bollywood actors are merely atempts to break into new, wider markets. Rolex have a whole galaxy of ambassadors, and 85% of them I have never heard of. Equestrianism? Polo? Opera? They clearly do not step onto Tag's grounds, nor Omega's. They could focus more efforts on motor racing but they do not, for whatever reason. All in all, they try to maintain their exclusive image through obscure representation.

Omega is poorly represented, if one only looks at the number of ambassadors. But they shoot in every direction: they have their mandatory racer, tennis player, golf player, model and classy but trendy actors. If there had to be a focus, that would be on sailing and swimming/diving, but I guess they do not want to be a one-discipline brand. In my opinion, they have to go up the marketing ladder and grab as many market shares to Rolex as they can. Then again, they have different products, so the positioning has to be different. Finally, I think their main ambassadors are not persons: Moon and Olympic games. While they have succeeded in branding the Moon, they should really have a permanent range of Olympic watches.

I know I should probably not speak about Tag, Rolex and Omega as if they were on a same level, but it is their marketing ways that was of interest here. On a worldwide scene, you can see Tag ads at every Formula 1 race (around 20 per year), Rolex ads at high profile races and many golf tournaments (? per year), and Omega... err... no ad during a hugely watched event taking place every 4 years. They really should work more around their present ambassadors and try to widen their number.

Messages In This Thread

Omega Ambassadors
Re: Omega Ambassadors
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE