The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

I missed the 72 hr window...
In Response To: Speedy Pro 321 Problem ... ()

: Hello All,

: I picked up a late '60s Speedy Pro with the 321
: mov't. Nice watch, appears to be in good
: shape (better than I am at the same age ).
: Seems to keep good time BUT here's the
: sticking point ... literally. When the
: chrono is engaged, the movement stops
: functioning when the chrono second hand
: reaches the 58-59 second mark. A couple
: clicks of the top pusher and the movement
: starts up again, with the seconds counter at
: 9 o'clock moving again, and another push or
: two and the chrono seconds begins again ...
: only to stick when it comes around to the 59
: second mark again. Occastionally it will
: make several revolutions before this
: happens, and once it stopped at the :34, and
: once at the :29 mark, but the :59 mark os
: the only place where it will 'stick'
: somewhat reliably. When it sticks, gently
: tapping the case on the desktop gets the
: movement moving again.
OK, so it sounds like it needs some work on the movement, but as you say it is about 40 years old. It doesn't sound like scrap.

: The dial definitely needs cleaning (some
: discoloration on white hands, hour markers
: etc.) but the mov't makes me nervous.
I wouldn't automatically say that if a watch has patina that it should be re-worked & made to look new. I did tha recently with my flightmaster, but I have plenty of watches that don't look new, show their age & I like them like that !

I have a 72 hour return window on the watch. If
: these problems are simply related to a lack
: of maintenance, I had already planned on
: finding a good watchmaker to clean and
: lubricate, etc. But if this is a symptom of
: a deeper problem, would I be better off
: simply returning the watch and finding
: another example? The fact that it seems to
: be working well (other than the
: aforementioned 'sticking') throws me for a
: loop.
I don't think we know enough to answer that here. Apart from the fact that I've missed you 72 hr window :-( - Sorry I was away for a few days.

It doesn't sound like a HUGE movement problem, to me. I'd probably take it to my local watchmaker.

BUT, influencing factors for me here would be :-

- What did the watch cost ? If it was expensive, it should work properly. If it was "the right price" I'd accept some work.

- How was it described ? as fully functional ? as recently serviced ?

- How long have you been looking for a 321 ? If this is the watch that "speaks to you" then maybe I'd be prepared to accept a movement check. If it "just" a 321 speedy maybe I wouldn't accept it.

- Did you point out the problems to the seller ? maybe you could split the cost of a service ? at a watchmaker that you know & trust ?

- What is the rest of the watch like ? Box, papers, right bracelet ? etc etc

: Thanks in advance for any advice!
: ~G

I know some other collectors have very different standards to mine. So I'm sure some guys out there, will disagree with me ( as Georges did already )

Steve

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE