The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: Plexiglas vs. Sapphire Crystal

: You need to get a response from Speedmaster Pro
: owners to get a balanced opinion of the
: Hesalite versus Sapphire crystal.

: From Jean-Michael's Web site see link below:
: Hesalite crystal of Speedmasters

: What is Hesalite : it is a brand name of a
: plexiglass , this is the material chosen by
: Omega to make the crystals of the Omega
: Speedmaster Professional. This was a logical
: choice in the end of the 50's but is it
: still a good material today ?

: The Speedmaster Professional is available today
: with either the Hesalite crystal or Sapphire
: , Omega keeps the Hesalite version because
: lots of customers still prefer a watch as
: close a possible to the one approved by
: NASA.

: I will try to expose here the advantages of the
: Hesalite crystal and explain how to polish
: off scratches on it.

: One of the biggest advantages of the Hesalite
: crystal is its shock resistance, I have
: personnally tested its resistance on a
: Speedmaster Professional crystal I had as a
: spare part : I have used a little watchmaker
: hammer to try to break the crystal : even if
: banged VERY strongly nothing happened to the
: crystal despite a real horrible noise ! I
: could not imagine performing such a test
: with the watch! the crystal then has been
: hit with a standard hammer ... and survived
: perfectly the test.

: Any glass or sapphire crystal would have broken
: in such conditions : the Hesalite crystal of
: the Speedmaster is really shockproof

Not to split hairs but... The correct material science term for resistance to shattering when hit with a hammer is "fracture toughness". Its possible watch people use slightly different terms from materials scientists or its possible that shockproof refers to things like how the movement will function after being dropped. This latter interpretation is what I had always assumed.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE