The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: NJ service incompetence/self-wind problem

: I have spent over $500 on factory service and
: been without my primary watch (mid-size
: seamaster automatic) for about 6 of the last
: 6 months.

: It seemed not to self-wind effectively, and
: kept running out, so I sent it in. They also
: replaced the dial and hands, because the
: luminous markings were damaged by water that
: entered when snorkeling (some diving watch,
: whether or not the crown was - which it
: probably wasn't). Did maintenance service.
: All for the bargain price of $527. They
: managed to screw up the promised express
: shipping.

: Months later, I get it back. It works. For a
: day. Then, dead. Whether manually wound or
: otherwise, nothing. I am now very impressed
: with the quality of their post service
: calibration.

: Send it back (at my expense). Months more of
: broken schedule promises and laughable
: claims to have expedited the service (they
: somehow couldn't start work on the problem
: until they got a back ordered replacement
: back that was needed for cosmetic reasons.)
: It STILL has the same failure to
: autiomatically wind as it did 6 months and
: $500 ago.

: Here is what it does. When dead, it will start
: ticking after a few wiggles. However, every
: day wearing doesn't keep it would like it
: always used to. (No lifestyle changes in the
: meantime.)

: And it sounds noisy and bad. When I wiggle my
: wrist right, it makes a noticable audible
: spinning sound, like a loose rotor. It can
: go for about 4 seconds of spinning. In a
: quiet room it can be heard spinning across
: the room. Like a cheap toy. I hear it making
: noises all the time when I make normal
: motions.

: I recently compared it to a friend's identical
: model, and his doesn't do this.

: Any advice? Is there competent service
: anywhere?

If you haven't done so already, e-mail Switzerland at aftersales@omega.ch with the details of your problem. I have a watch in NJ right now that is being repaired from the damage they did to it while trying to repair it. As soon as I e-mailed Switzerland, they personally contacted NJ and my servicing is now being overseen by the customer care manager personally (or so I'm told). I was also promised an expedited turn-around time of 7-10 days, when it took them 10 weeks to mess it up the first time.

I don't think Switzerland wants any unhappy customers, so they should go to bat for you with NJ. If not, just tell NJ you want the watch back and send it directly to Switzerland for repair. You have a 2 year warranty on any factory service, so you won't have to pay for Switzerland to fix the problems if NJ can't. I'll never use NJ again for anything.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE