The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: Taking off the back... *PIC*
In Response To: Taking off the back... ()

You can just try using your fingers and just try to unscrew the back off (considering that the fake SMP copied the screw back), that would be the "easiest, cheapest" way.

I would suggest that you invest in a case opener. There are some really cheap watch kits on eBay.

Pictured below are the most common screw back openers:

These tools costs around $10 and the second tool can be found in watch kits for around $15.

There is also a ball that is squished against the back of the watch and twisted to open the case (the ball basically acts to increase friction a thousand fold). I never used one, but it seems like a pretty good idea (no scratches from this device).

HORB "Screw Ball"
www.ofrei.com: $8.95
Boston Watch Exchange: $12.95

If you're planning to open the back and "investigate" I suggest getting the watch kits because you're not likely going to have 0.8mm, 1.0mm and 1.2mm flatheads laying around. I started a Watch Project awhile ago and I'll say that if you want to keep using the tools invest in high quality Bergeon tools; they're well worth the money (my favorite "drivers" are the Bergeon 6899 screwdrivers, these can be bought as a set for a little over $200 or can be purchased individually for $9.95 at http://www.ofrei.com/page1205.html).

The BEST (but certainly not cheap) drivers on the market.
www.ofrei.com: $230
Boston Watch Exchange: $360

Lancaster Horological Supply: N/A, but they do have the old Bergeon 5970 set for $67

Bergeon 5970; Bergeon's most popular and 3rd best set.

If you decide to buy good quality tools on eBay, look for tools at http://stores.ebay.com/Lancaster-Horological-Supply. These guys (by far) offer the best prices in Bergeon Tools. Whatever you do, NEVER buy from the BOSTON WATCH EXCHANGE. Hey, even though I haven't bought anything from them, their prices are WAY TOO high (consistently 33% to 200% overpriced as you can see in the above Bergeon 6899 case!). I only mention these guys because they have a huge amount of the results that pop up on eBay when you search "Bergeon". If you can't find the tool you want at Lancaster Horological Supply (the cheapest Bergeon supplier that I have found) go to www.ofrei.com (these guys sell at the next best prices around).

Here's an example of the prices for a Bergeon 6767-F springbar tool I bought (considered one of the best springbar removers out there because of its extremely durable but tiny 1mm fork).

Lancaster Horological Supply: $9.85 + $2.75 shipping

Boston Watch Exchange: $36.95 + $4.75 shipping

www.ofrei.com: N/A but they have a similar one (a little worse) for $25 + $6.50 shipping

Anyways, after I finish the Project, I'll post the results here and some of the tools I acquired along the way. Lately I have been drifting away from Omega and going into watchmaking.... If anyone has a watch bench or some tools laying around and being neglected.... ;-)

Hey, maybe we should have a "SHOW US YOUR WATCH TOOLS" picture day!

And finally.............

Best of luck!

NOTE: The above prices are "Buy-It Now" prices, no bidding required. Also be careful if you decide to start taking apart a watch (I learned it the hard way and you'll see it in my documentation coming in a few weeks), so only take it apart if you know you won't miss it.

My "dream" watch kit (with Bergeon 6899 drivers substituting the 5970s)!

Messages In This Thread

Taking off the back...
Re: Taking off the back... *PIC*
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE