The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Tough one...
In Response To: Andy's Pictures... ()

firstly here are Andy pictures scaled down a bit...

Age ?

Since it is a quartz (marked interestingly only on the back) , I'd say sometime from the mid 70's through to mid 80's, probably mid 80's ( it can't be earlier than mid 70's & the mid 80's is a guess ). I guess since quartz was the "in thing" at the start of its life ( & commanded a ridiculous premium ), if the watch was made towards the start of the quartz era ( mid 70's), it would have been proudly marked so on the dial. Since this watch isn't I assume it's somewhat later.

Value ? to be brutally honest, IF it is solid gold, it is probably worth more as a lump of gold, than as an Omega.

If it is gold plated... I have no idea.

Andy, if you have a decent watch maker anywhere close to you, ask him to pop the back off. ( it is not a screw back ), On the inside of the case back, you/he should see a 6 digit number ( or maybe two 6 digit numbers ). this will tell us which model the watch is.

The movement will be marked with a 4 digit number ( the movement type ) & an 8 digit serial number. This 8 digit number will allow us to estimate the age of the watch ( within 2 years +/- )

BTW, you might also want to ask the watchmaker to swap the battery whilst he's in there or at least tell you which battery it uses.

I hope this helps a bit.

Steve

Messages In This Thread

john rochowicz
Andy's Pictures...
Tough one...
Posting photos
I Can Try...
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE