The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: Pre-purchase dilemma
In Response To: Re: Pre-purchase dilemma ()

Dear John and the others

I have another following question: John wrote me in his first mail:

"With the Rolex, you are really paying only for the movement and the Rolex name." What do you mean with: paying the movement. Does this mean, a) that you pay the name and reputation of the manufacturer movement or does this mean b) that you pay the (potentially) higher production cost of an Explorer?

Probably nobody can answer me this question: Are the production cost for the AT lower then the ones for the Explorer? OR: Is the internal margin Rolex applies much higher, than the margin of Omega? I guess yes. However to which extent? Probably the thruth lies somewhere in the middle: Rolex' margin (earning per sold unit) is somewhat higher but their internal production cost are somewhat higher too. What do you think?

Anyway, you wrote: "So, in a nutshell, I think that Omega gives you a much better value for the money, and a nicer looking watch."

Thanks for your comments.
Stephan

P.S. I really don't care about brand perspective and things like: "there's something special about Rolexes you cannot explain". In my eyes this is PURE marketing. And the potential reselling value doesn't mean anything to me either, since its artificial and arbitrary, based on the image of a brand. Image is value, but it's not value based on the atomic truth. I just would like to get the confirmation, that the ETA-based 2500-movement (and the ETA movements in general) are in terms of used materials of their components and in terms of ruggedness equal to any other movement. If I get this confirmation, than I will probably buy the AT.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE