The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: Advice re: omega
In Response To: Advice re: omega ()

Dale,

I am new to the forum, but certainly spend my fair share of time looking at watches out there. A couple of ideas: I have tried on a Rolex submariner automatic that I thought was relatively light and midsize (of course, this is as compared to my tank of a seamaster auto chronograph). Also, on the omega site, there are some midsize models in the seamaster and speedmaster lines, I believe, that might be worth considering, although I am learning that swimming in a speedmaster is probably a bad idea, since it is really not designed for that in terms of water resistance (look down the page for a recent post about this from me with several excellent responses).

If you consider quartz in addition to an automatic, you probably open up your possibilities more regarding weight and size. Do you have a high end watch store near you with a big selection where you can see and try on various models?

Of course, I am more than partial to the big O (watch, that is), but there are lots of great watches and brands out there to consider. You may post a similar request to this one on some other brand forums on this site like TAG Heuer, Breitling, Tissot (is there a Tissot page?), etc.. Ebay is also a great place to search for ideas and see what is out there, although I personally wouldn't buy an expensive watch that I could not view in person prior to payment. I have discovered brands I never thought twice about, mostly in the mid price and inexpensive sectors, but good looking and worth considering.

I bet there are plenty of folks here who can recommend specific models or places to check, but I hope my advice helps some. If you are at all like me, seeking out the best model to get is at least half of the fun.

Best of luck, and let us know what you decide,

Jimmy Penson

: I'm looking for a durable Omega that I can wear
: everyday and that's not too heavy. I'm used
: to light watches that I can run/swim with
: and recently tried on seamaster bond which
: was far too big and heavy for my liking. I
: have a 60's seamaster deville, which I love
: - it's light and stylish - but it's far too
: fragile for everyday use and I don't want to
: screw it up. Also, my wrist size is small
: (6.5 inch diameter) so a big faced watch
: doens't make sense either. I've looked
: online at Omega's site and they have some
: smart looking titanium automatic wathces
: with rubber bands, but they're not available
: in the US. No telling how heavy they are
: anyways.

: Preferably I'd find something only slightly
: used, automatic, relatively light, has a
: 30-40mm face, and with a rubber band that
: can handle everyday use and activity.
: Perhaps this watch doesn't exist, or not by
: Omega anyways.

: Any suggestions? I'm not married to Omega, but
: I like them. Other brands to consider;
: suggestions?

: Thanks

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE