The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: Old Watches
In Response To: Old Watches ()

I'm sure that watches can last more than the recommended 4 to 5 year service intervals. I also plan to never have my below US$500 watches serviced because it's simply too expensive. I'll have my above US$1000 watches serviced not exactly every 4 to 5 years, but around every 6 to 7 years, just to be on the safe side.
In my unorthodoxed opinion, you can do it both ways; either never have your watches serviced, or have them serviced more or less according to the recommended intervals.
At the service/overhaul cost of US$150 to US$400, in the long run, it might even be cheaper to have your watches only serviced once they are broken, although it might not be the healthiest thing to do, because of lubricants coagulating, or wear and tear of mechanical parts because of lack of lubricants.

Common man

: I have a pocket watch from the 1930's (Howard),
: a Marshall pocket watch from the 1950's, and
: a Westclox wrist watch from the middle 60's
: when in the USAF. All run just fine and keep
: good time and as far as I know, all, have
: never been serviced. I wore the Westclox for
: about five years. The other two rarely.
: Based on my past experience I doubt my
: Speedmaster Professional purchased in 1998
: will ever need service of any kind in my
: lifetime. I wear it only twice per week
: usually. I have two Citizen Eco Drives for
: everyday use. Any comments on watch
: maintenance based on my experience?

Messages In This Thread

Old Watches
Re: Old Watches
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE