The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: coaxial movement versions *PIC*
In Response To: coaxial movement versions ()

: Hello,
: I've been browsing and have seen some talk
: about early problems with the Coaxial
: movement, leading to I believe, 3 versions,
: a 2500a,b,c.

: Is this correct ?

Yes, but caliber 2500A was problematic from day one and was quickly replaced with caliber 2500B. 2500B works fine and wasn't replaced until late 2004/early 2005 with caliber 2500C, which is now in the Planet Oceans, Aqua Terras, and base DeVilles. 2500C has a slower beat rate to give it more power reserve. Some modifications were also made to make production of the movement easier. Otherwise, both the B and C versions have been reliable.

: I'd like to make sure that if I buy a Deville
: Chronometer or Cronograph, I get the latest
: movement with all the fixes. Is there some
: way to know this information ?

The picture below shows the 2500B stamp in the lower left hand corner. If you were buying an Aqua Terra, you could simply look through the sapphire caseback. If you were buying a Planet Ocean, you could be certain that it has caliber 2500C since ALL Planet Oceans use this movement. In the case of the DeVille, this model is not nearly as big a seller as the Aqua Terras and Planet Oceans, so I suspect there are quite a few "old stock" pieces sitting around with caliber 2500B in them. Unfortunately, the only way to be 100% certain is to open up the caseback.

Good Luck,
John

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE