The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: New SMP running slow
In Response To: New SMP running slow ()

: Well it has been 5 days since I got my
: automatic Seamaster Pro and after 5 days it
: is roughly 5 seconds slow. It did not lose
: time on a steady pace but rather lost 2 sec
: twice, gained 1 second once, etc.
: This ammount of time loss really is not
: important to me; however, I am somewhat
: worried because this is on the low end of
: the Omega specs of -1 to +6 (or whatever it
: said in the book) and because I have read
: that watches tend to lose time as they
: break-in. If my watch is already slow,
: should I be expecting it to get even slower?

: I am currently in the process of experimenting
: with different overnight positions and I
: will see if this has a dramatic effect.
: I would also be thankful for any other
: recommended courses of action.

: Thanks!

If your watch lost 5 seconds in 5 days, this comes out to -1 sec/day, which is well within COSC specs. Omega's instruction manual does say that any Omega watchmaker can regulate your watch to within -1 to +6 sec/day. However, a certified chronometer like your watch is tested to stay within the actual COSC specs of -4 to +6 sec/day (Omega's specs of -1 to +6 sec/day are tighter than COSC specs). Anyway, since the watch is new and you haven't had enough time to experiment with all of the different overnight positions, I would do this first. After all, if you say it lost 2 seconds twice, then gained a second, it's clear that your watch is affected by positioning.

A lot of people find that the time that is lost or gained while the watch is on the wrist can be "offset" by keeping it in the right position overnight. If, for example, your watch loses 2 seconds during the day while you are wearing it, you may find that the right overnight position will allow it to gain 2 seconds, for a net gain of 0 sec/day.

Just some food for thought.

Good luck,
John

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE