The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

I Don't Like It...
In Response To: PO Anti-Reflective Coating ()

: I've been considering adding a Planet Ocean to
: my collection, but one thing that has been
: holding me back is the AR coating on the
: outside of the sapphire crystal. I remember
: reading somewhere that the coating is
: susceptible to scratching, which would drive
: me absolutely nuts. Then again I've read
: that sapphire crystals are susceptible to
: shattering and it has never been a problem
: for me--even with some strong knocks against
: hard surfaces. I'm wondering just how easy
: it is to scratch the AR coating...has it
: actually happened to anyone in this forum?

I've seen some used PO's in the shops that have scratches to the AR coating. Since the outer coating is just a thin, baked on layer, once it's scratched you have to either live with it or remove the whole coating all-together. The same Polywatch compound that can be used to remove scratches from hesalite crystals will completely remove the AR coating from a PO crystal. I've read tons of posts about this, and a lot of people have gone ahead and removed the outer coating so they wouldn't have to worry about scratches.

Personally, I agree with you 100%. The small amount of extra glare reduction that the outer layer provides isn't worth the hassle of having to worry about scratching it. Its only real benefit is that it makes the crystal appear invisible in certain lighting, since the coating is the same on both sides of the crystal. Still, I much prefer watches with inner coatings only, like the Bond SMP. Just my opinion...

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE