The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: The Dilemma....
In Response To: The Dilemma.... ()

: I have been through a lot of different winders
: over the years, and the real problem is that
: you "get what you pay for". I know
: a gentleman who had that Brookstone model
: and found that the motor just died on him
: within a year after purchase. Likewise, I
: bought a cheap "no-name" winder on
: ebay that died within a year, and I had
: problems with the Sharper Image winders
: after a few months. Right now I am using
: Steinhausen winders. Although they are cheap
: (less than $50 for a single winder on ebay),
: so far they have been running great for me
: (fingers crossed).

: You seem to be looking for something that is
: going to last a long time (as long as the
: watch may be an impossible task, though). If
: so, Orbita is considered the best, and they
: do offer specials on their website. If and
: when these Steinhausen models die on me, I
: will not waste any more money on cheap
: winders. I'll fork out the cash and buy an
: Orbita, since their quality and customer
: service is top tier.

: One other suggestion - I bought three SINGLE
: watch winders from Steinhausen since, if the
: motor breaks (which is always what breaks),
: I still have two other winders to use. If
: you buy a dual winder and the motor breaks,
: now you're stuck not being able to wind ANY
: watches. If you buy from a top tier company
: like Orbita, then I wouldn't worry, but if
: you go the cheap route like me, I highly
: suggest buying single watch winders.

: Best of luck to you,
: John

I've had good luck with the Eilux double winders from Ofrei, in the leather covered cases. I bought a second one earlier in the year, and both are silent enough that I can't hear them over background noise (even at night) when I am sitting right next to them. They've been very reliable, and seem to keep all my watches wound properly.

One thing you need to watch out for are those polished mahogany winders at the mall jewelry stores, and also sold at Ofrei. I had two in succession from a mall store that died trying to keep my Seamaster wound. The motor still ran, but you could hear the gears popping, and the rotor wouldn't turn. Plus they are LOUD. The Eilux on the other hand, have had no problems keeping wound a 45.5mm PO, a full size Seamaster, a Tridente, and a Super Sea Wolf.

If you are interested, and can live without a winder for a couple of months, wait and keep an eye out on Ofrei's site; they run a sale about twice a year, when you can buy the Eilux winders at wholesale price.

FYI, I've never had an Orbita, but a local dealer told me they dropped them because the had too many returned over quality problems. The Sparta winders look interesting though, as long as they'll hold up with the heavier watches.

John (a different one though!)

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE