The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: America's Cup Chrono - BIG Problem

: Since your watch is four years old, I'm 99%
: certain that Omega is going to recommend a
: full servicing on the watch when they
: receive it, since automatics generally need
: to be serviced every 4-6 years. If any of
: the problems are related to normal wear and
: tear, the parts will be replaced as part of
: the routine servicing. This costs about $350
: when done at Omega headquarters in Bienne,
: but it's about $450 when done at an
: authorized US service center.

: If you receive an estimate that seems
: outrageously high, post the details here.
: Your watch contains the Piguet-based 3303
: movement, which has a history of problems
: that Omega is aware of. Omega has so far
: agreed to fix any 3303 defects free of
: charge even after the warranty has expired,
: so I suspect they will take care of your
: watch and charge you for only the routine
: servicing.

: One additional point - I would NOT send this
: watch to Omega USA under any circumstances.
: They have a very spotty track record, and
: the 3303 is a very complicated movement. I
: would only trust Omega's top watchmakers in
: Bienne with this watch.

: Good luck to you,
: John

Thanks for your response, John. I didn't realize this movement had known problems, but I definitely thought it strange that it had such a dramatic meltdown while sitting on my dresser. From the sound of the parts moving around inside, you'd think it fell from a 5th floor window! Great advice on sending it directly to Switzerland, too. Do you happen to have an address and other instructions for sending it there? I'll poke around the website a little and see if I can find it. Again, many thanks. I'll let the forum know the results.

Regards,

Ben

Messages In This Thread

America's Cup Chrono - BIG Problem
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE